- Title: GREECE: Snowstorm closes schools, offices
- Date: 9th March 2011
- Summary: ATHENS, GREECE (MARCH 8, 2011) (REUTERS) HOUSES AND CARS ON STREET INTERSECTION COVERED IN SNOW IN NORTHERN ATHENS SUBURB OF DIONYSOS HEAVY SNOW POURING DOWN AS BUSES DRIVE PAST ON RESIDENTIAL STREET SNOW PILED ON STREET LIGHT BUSES DRIVING THROUGH LASHING WIND AND SNOWS SCHOOL PLAYGROUND EMPTY AS SCHOOL IS CLOSED BASKETBALL COURT OF SCHOOL COVERED IN SNOW EMPTY, SCHOOL BENCH WITH SNOW TREES AND STREET COVERED IN SNOW SNOW PILED ON PARKED CARS AMIDST HEAVY SNOWFALL AND WINDSHIELD WIPERS RAISED ON CAR SO AS NOT TO STICK TO WINDOW CHILDREN IN SNOW SUITS MAKING A SNOWMAN AND THROWING SNOWBALLS AMIDST FALLING SNOW AND LASHING WINDS CHILDREN CARRYING SNOW AND SLEDS WALKING IN SNOW AS IT POURS DOWN AND WINDS BLOW VARIOUS OF WOMAN USING A BROOM TO BRUSH OFF SNOW FROM HER PARKED CAR TRAPPED IN SNOW IN THE NORTHERN SUBURB OF PENTELI MORE PEOPLE CLEANING SNOW OFF THEIR PARKED CARS BURIED IN SNOW RESIDENTS WALKING IN SNOWY STREET OLD MAN CLEANING SNOW OFF HIS CAR WITH SHOVEL CHILDREN PLAYING IN SNOW VARIOUS OF POLICE VEHICLES PARKED IN FRONT OF RESIDENTIAL STREET, CLOSING IT OFF FROM TRAFFIC, PYLONS CLOSING STREET EMPTY STREET CLOSED BLANKETED IN WHITE AS IT IS COVERED IN ICE AND SNOW
- Embargoed: 24th March 2011 12:00
- Location: Greece, Greece
- Country: Greece
- Topics: Weather
- Reuters ID: LVAESHI9DX0EVWCDI04JLRL2Y504
- Story Text: Heavy snow coupled with high winds forced school and office closures in Greece on Tuesday (March 8).
In northern suburbs of Athens schools in at least eight districts were closed for the day, along with schools and some public service offices in 11 municipalities in central and northern Greece. Electricity cuts were reported in various regions.
Temperatures plummeted to one degrees celsius in the Athens north suburbs while it was recorded at minus five degrees celsius in northern Greece.
Driving was slow-going on national highways and roads as heavy winds and snow lashed down.
Greeks, not accustomed to dealing with snow, scrambled to find snow chains, while others struggled to dig out their vehicles.
Police closed off streets covered in snow and ice. Children however seemed to be enjoying the snowfall, taking advantage of school closures to throw snowballs and take out their sleds.
The snowfall was coupled with gale force winds that caused the cancellation of sea ferry schedules from main sea ports.
The sudden snow spell swept across the country late on Monday and within hours reached as far as the southern Peloponnese peninsula.
It is expected to last for the next two days at least before temperatures begin to rise.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None