- Title: BELGIUM: Belgian Priest wanted for Canada abuse surfaces
- Date: 14th September 2010
- Summary: SINT-JOORIS-WEERT, BELGIUM (SEPTEMBER 13, 2010) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF POLICE STATION IN FRONT OF POLICE STATION, POLICE CARS SIGN READING 'POLICE'
- Embargoed: 29th September 2010 13:00
- Location: Belgium
- Country: Belgium
- Topics: Crime / Law Enforcement
- Reuters ID: LVAC3U2P8Z0WX4DF1U1VGQQXWXEN
- Story Text: Belgian police questioned on Monday (September 13) a Belgian priest wanted in Canada on allegations of child sexual abuse.
Eric Dejaeger, 63, is on Interpol's international list of wanted people based on a warrant for "crimes against children" issued by authorities in Igloolik, an island in the far north of Canada.
Dejaeger called the prosecutors in the Belgian city of Leuven and the police took him for questioning.
The prosecutors said in a short statement they had asked the Canadian authorities for further information. There is no extradition request from Canada, so Dejaeger was free to return to the abbey south of Leuven where he is living.
Interpol says Dejaeger has joint Belgian and Canadian nationalities.
He is not connected to revelations of abuse by priests committed in Belgium that have rocked the Catholic church and forced the resignation of a bishop who admitted abusing his nephew.
Dejaeger told the authorities he would cooperate, prosecutors in Leuven said.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None