- Title: FRANCE: SOCCER - AC Milan and Brazil playmaker Kaka wins first global Ballon D'Or
- Date: 3rd December 2007
- Summary: VARIOUS OF KAKA SPEAKING ITALIAN ABOUT AWARD
- Embargoed: 18th December 2007 12:00
- Location: France
- Country: France
- Topics: Sports
- Reuters ID: LVABSR2F33XFFE52JVBLLMNW25JY
- Story Text: Kaka wins new-style Ballon D'Or and is hot favourite for FIFA World Player of the Year.
AC Milan and Brazil playmaker Kaka was awarded the 2007 Ballon d'Or by the magazine France Football in Paris on Sunday (December 2).
Kaka beat Manchester United's Cristiano Ronaldo of Portugal and Barcelona's Lionel Messi of Argentina, who were second and third respectively.
This year for the first time nominees could play for clubs outside of Europe and some of the journalists who choose the winner are also not European. Ninety-six journalists from around the world voted and the shortlist of 50 players included some based in Argentina, Brazil, Mexico, the United States and Qatar.
Kaka earned 444 points to Ronaldo's 277 and Messi's 255. Chelsea's Ivory Coast striker Didier Drogba was fourth on 108 points with AC Milan midfielder Andrea Pirlo fifth with 41 points.
For the first time since 2003, Brazil's Ronaldinho was out of the top five in 12th place.
The elegant Kaka is already the winner of the FIFPro world Player of the Year and UEFA European Club Player of the Year awards and is the big favourite for FIFA's World Player of the Year award to be announced later in December.
His 10 goals in guiding Milan to their seventh European Cup triumph in May set up this flurry of awards in a year without a World Cup or European championship.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None