- Title: USA: Two Chinese baseball players introduced by the Yankees
- Date: 7th July 2007
- Summary: (AM) NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (JULY 6, 2007) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF THE N.Y. YANKEES BASEBALL STADIUM/ SIGN
- Embargoed: 22nd July 2007 13:00
- Location: Usa
- Country: USA
- Topics: Sports
- Reuters ID: LVA4EW6VB6CNH12ABAO6UNMHKCHV
- Story Text: N.Y. Yankees introduce two Chinese players respresenting the first alliance between a U.S. major league baseball club and China's Baseball Association.
The New York Yankees baseball club introduced its latest signings on Friday (July 6): two teenagers from China.
It's the first time a major league U.S. baseball club has signed Chinese players with the approval of China's Baseball Association.
Left-handed pitcher Kai Liu and catcher Zhenwang Zhang, both 19, were introduced at a news conference at the Yankees stadium.
The N.Y. Yankees, who currently have a Taiwanese pitcher on their roster, are optimistic about the huge potential in the Chinese baseball pool.
Yankees Senior Vice President and General Manager Brian Cashman said: "We're seeing that the professional leagues are producing very competitive teams, that I think over time, I can see, especially with the emergence of China, you know, maybe a true world champion."
Both teenagers are well aware of the challenges ahead of them.
Zhang said that the idea of playing for one of the most famous baseball teams in the world made them excited, "... and then we felt a lot of pressure, because it's a big challenge ahead of us," he said.
Kai Liu commented: "The biggest challenge is the language and culture, because we need to communicate with the coaches and the language barrier will be the biggest challenge."
Zhang and Liu will return to China to await their U.S. work visas before returning to Tampa, Florida for training.
The Yankees also announced their sponsorship with a Chinese company, dairy producer Yili. It's the first sponsorship between a U.S. major league baseball club and a Chinese business.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None