- Title: UNITED KINGDOM: VALENTINE'S DAY IN LONDON
- Date: 14th February 1997
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (FEBRUARY 14, 1997)(RTV-ACCESS ALL) 1. LV PAN EROS STATUE IN THE MIDDLE OF PICCADILLY CIRCUS 0.11 2. LAS EROS STATUE 0.16 3. SLV COUPLE WALKING HAND IN HAND 0.20 4. SV MAN WITH A BUNCH OF RED ROSES WALKING PAST FLOWER STAND/ FLOWERS 0.26 5. SLV/SCU FLORIST PICKING UP ROSES 0.35 6. SV/SCU FLORIST PREPARING BUNCH/ WOMAN BUYING FLOWERS 0.42 7. SLV/SCU BOOKS ABOUT LOVE ON DISPLAY IN SHOP WINDOW 0.51 8. SV TWO TOURISTS FROM NEW YORK CITY SAYING WE CAME IN FROM NEW YORK AND SURPRISED OUR FIANCEE AND BOYFRIEND WITH A TRIP TO LONDON FOR THE WEEKEND IN LONDON (ENGLISH) 0.58 9. SCU MAN SAYING I WILL WAIT TO SEE IN WHICH DIRECTION THE WIND BLOWS TO SEE WHAT LOVELY ROADS ARE COMING MY WAY (ENGLISH) 1.05 10. SCU WOMAN SAYING VALENTINES DAY IS A GREAT IDEA, THE IDEA OF HAVING ONE DAY IN THE YEAR WHEN YOU CAN BE ROMANTIC, BUT I DO THINK IT IS TOO COMMERCIALISED NOW (ENGLISH) 1.12 11. SCU/SLV COUPLE WALKING DOWN ROAD HAND IN HAND 1.20 Initials s3 p3 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Embargoed: 1st March 1997 12:00
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Reuters ID: LVA3JHD2AM0DZ0CVJXBWK8752QRQ
- Story Text: - INTRO: A dull, damp day in London kept the romance of Valentine's Day to a minimum.
Even the statue of Eros, the God of Love, looked decidedly unromantic in the centre of London on Friday (February 14).
A few couples were spotted walking arm-in-arm through the capital. But most will have to wait until they get home from work to discover if their loved one has remembered Valentine's Day.
Florists were expecting a last-minute rush for a dozen red roses but with prices being hiked up many customers will settle for a single stem. Books on love were also selling well and for card manufacturers February 14th is second only to Christmas for sales.
The more adventurous people jump on a plane to celebrate. Two visitors to London surprised their boyfriends with a weekend trip from New York. Others are left hoping the love-bug will strike sometime on Friday.
And although most agree Valentine's Day is a good idea there are fears it is becoming too commercialised.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None