- Title: JERUSALEM: UNITED STATES PRESIDENT BILL CLINTON AT PRESS CONFERENCE
- Date: 14th March 1996
- Summary: JERUSALEM (MARCH 14, 1996) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 1. SV UNITED STATES (U.S.) PRESIDENT BILL CLINTON AND ISRAELI PRIME MINISTER SHIMON PERES ENTERING MEDIA CONFERENCE 0.04 2. SCU CLINTON SPEAKING (ENGLISH) 1.16 3. SCU PERES SPEAKING (ENGLISH) 1.50 4. SCU CLINTON SPEAKING (ENGLISH) 2.27 SEQUENCE 2 TRANSCRIPT: CLINTON: "WE HAVE DECIDED THAT THE UNITED STATES AND ISRAEL WILL IMMEDIATELY BEGIN THE NEGOTIATIONS TO INCLUDE A BI-LATERAL AGREEMENT ON COMBATTING TERRORISM. I TOLD THE PRIME MINISTER THAT THE UNITED STATES WILL COMMIT MORE THAN ONE HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS TO THIS EFFORT. I AM TAKING THIS STEP BECAUSE I AM DETERMINED THAT WE MUST HAVE EVERY TOLL AT OUR DISPOSAL TO FIGHT AGAINST EXTREMIST VIOLENCE. LAST NIGHT I SAID TO THE CONGRESS AN URGENT REQUEST FOR A FIRST INSTALLMENT OF THIS COUNTER-TERRORISM EFFORT/ I EXPECT CONGRESS TO ACT QUICKLY ON THIS IMPORTANT MEASURE. THE UNITED STATES WILL IMMEDIATELY BEGIN TO PROVIDE ISRAEL WITH ADDITIONAL EQUIPMENT AND TRAINING. SECOND OUR NATIONS WILL JOIN TOGETHER TO DEVELOP NEW ANTI-TERROR METHODS AND TECHNOLOGIES. THIRD WE WILL WORK TO ENHANCE COMMUNICATIONS AND CO-ORDINATION BETWEEN OUR NATIONS, AND OTHER GOVERNMENTS WHO HAVE JOINED WITH US IN THE WAR AGAINST TERRORISM." SEQUENCE 3 TRANSCRIPT: PERES: "SYRIA AND IRAN ARE SIMILAR IN THAT THERE ARE HEADQUARTERS OF TERRORIST ORGANISATIONS IN DAMASCUS BUT THERE IS A DIFFERENCE, SYRIA IS NEGOTIATING WITH ISRAEL TO REACH A PEACE WHICH IRAN REFUSES TO DO COMPLETELY." SEQUENCE 4 TRANSCRIPT: CLINTON: "I WAS DISAPPOINTED NO SYRIAN REPRESENTATIVE CAME TO SUMMIT AND I THINK IT WAS A MISTAKE, BUT I UNDERSTAND PRESIDENT ASSAD LIKES TO STEER A SEPARATE COURSE AND DEAL ONE-ON-ONE, THOUGH I THINK IT WAS A MISSED OPPORTUNITY." Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Embargoed: 29th March 1996 12:00
- Location: JERUSALEM
- Country: Israel
- Reuters ID: LVADT4BNW340HZ8FAO6PBZEFS699
- Story Text: INTRO: President Clinton vows to help Israel crush Islamic militants in the wake of spate of suicide bombings.
-------------------------------------------------------------------- United States (U.S.) President Bill Clinton committed 100 million U.S. dollars on Thursday (March 14) to fight terrorism as part of a pact with Israel.
"We have decided that the United States and Israel will immediately begin negotiations to conclude a bilateral agreement on combatting terrorism," Clinton told a news conference.
The United States also pledged additional equipment and training and the sharing of new anti-terror methods and technologies.
Clinton said the United States would also increase its intelligence sharing and coordination.
Secretary of State Warren Christopner will remain in Israel to speed the progress of the agreement, he said.
Clinton said that the forces supporting peace and security were stronger than those of destruction, "we must prove that," he said.
"The message of the pact to the people of Israel should be clear, America walks with you every step of way,... we will work with you until the day you achieve peace with security," he said.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None