- Title: UNITED KINGDOM: MORE THAN 700,000 JOIN NOTTING HILL CARNIVAL
- Date: 28th August 1995
- Summary: LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM (AUGUST 28, 1995) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 1. SV CARNIVAL SIGN, PULLBACK TO SHOW CROWD AND PART OF PROCESSION 0.10 2. SLV PINK SKELETON DANCER 0.15 3. SV TWO HUGE BOTTLES ON TOP OF BIG PINK COSTUME 0.22 4. SLV GIRL DANCING ON BALCONY 0.27 5. SV DANCERS IN CAPES IN PROCESSION (2 SHOTS) 0.43 6. SV DANCERS WITH HOOPS 0.54 7. SCU ELDERLY MAN WATCHES WITH HIS FINGERS IN HIS EARS 0.57 8. SLV THREE BIKINI-CLAD DANCERS 1.03 9. SV CHILDREN DANCING 1.07 10.GV CROWD DANCING 1.15 11.SLV WOMAN IN LONG DRESS DANCING 1.26 12.SV CROWD DANCING 1.40 13.SV BOY ON SHOULDERS 1.44 14.SLV COUPLE DANCING ON BALCONY 1.49 15.SV STEEL BAND (4 SHOTS) 2.16 16.SV TWO MEN SHOUTING AT EACH OTHER BY FOOD STAND 2.24 17.SLV/SV BURNING FOOD STAND AMID CROWDS / PEOPLE FIGHTING FIRE (3 SHOTS) 2.46 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Embargoed: 12th September 1995 13:00
- Location: LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Reuters ID: LVA9HDRQX4QLX7ZEKYOVGASI8DP4
- Story Text: More than 700,000 people from all over the world joined Europe's biggest street party in London on Monday (August 28) as the Notting Hill Carnival burst peacefully into a third day.
Thousands thronged the streets, singing and dancing as floats and revellers sashayed around the west London district.
Although there has been trouble between groups of youths and police in the past, the main problem facing police this year was preventing officers being swept up into the dancing.
There were only a few arrests up to dusk on Monday, most of them alcohol-related. There was also a small fire on one of the stalls, but this was quickly extinguished by the fire brigade.
The Notting Hill Carnival began in 1965 as a small gathering of West Indian immigrants celebrating their culture. Thirty years on,it is second only to the Rio Carnival in terms of size, the organisers claim.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None