- Title: UNITED STATES: HOLYFIELD JOKES ABOUT TYSON BITE.
- Date: 24th July 1997
- Summary: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES (JULY 24, 1997) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 1. HEAVYWEIGHT BOXING CHAMPION EVANDER HOLYFIELD WALKING IN CORRIDOR 2. HOLYFIELD TESTIFYING TO SUBCOMMITTEE 3. REPORTERS 4. HOLYFIELD AT PRESS CONFERENCE, BEING THANKED BY SENATOR DIRK KEMPTHORNE 5. HOLYFIELD RESPONDING TO QUESTION ABOUT HIS REACTION TO A MAN BUYING A PIECE OF HIS EAR "IT REALLY DOESN'T MAKE A DIFFERENCE, IT'S JUST SOMETHING I LOST ON THE WAY, SO IT DOESN'T PUT ME OUT" (ENGLISH) 5. CLOSE-UP OF HOLYFIELD'S EAR, HOLYFIELD WALKS OUT OF MEETING Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Embargoed: 8th August 1997 13:00
- Location: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Reuters ID: LVA38F1EIHZBD06ZMR45YS9S3F7M
- Story Text: Heavyweight boxing champion Evander Holyfield on Thursday (July 24) joked with journalists about reports that a man has bought the piece of ear bitten off by Mike Tyson during their recent title fight.
Holyfield, who lost part of his ear when Tyson sank his teeth into it on June 28, was at Capitol Hill to address a hearing on responsible parenting.
The boxing champion, who was 21 years-old when he first met his own father, told the hearing that no child in America should face a future without a responsible father.
After the hearing, Holyfield joked with journalists about reports that a man has bought part of his ear that Tyson bit off.
"It's just something I lost on the way," the champion joked.
Tyson was banned from boxing and fined three million United States dollars for biting both of Holyfield's ears in their title fight on June 28, in which he was disqualified in the third round.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None