- Title: UNITED STATES: EU MEDIATOR SAYS FORMER YUGOSLAVIA IS HEADING TOWARDS WAR
- Date: 15th June 1995
- Summary: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES (JUNE 15, 1995) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 1. SCU INTERNATIONAL MEDIATOR CARL BILDT SPEAKING ABOUT THE SITUATION IN BOSNIA (ENGLISH) 2.39 SEQUENCE 1 transcript: BILDT :"AND THEN OF COURSE IT IS ESSENTIAL TO HAVE AS LARGE A DEGREE OF COORDINATION AMONG THE MEMBERS OF THE CONTACT GROUP AS POSSIBLE. I SEE THAT AS ONE OF MY IMPORTANT TASKS TO SECURE THAT. I DON'T SEE ANY MAJOR PROBLEMS I MIGHT SAY. I FIND THAT WE HAVE REMARKABLE PERSISTENCY OF VIEWS INSIDE THE EUROPEAN UNION. WE HAVE REMARKABLE DEGREE OF UNANIMITY WITH THE VIEWS THAT ARE HERE AND I ALSO SEE THE POSSIBLITY OF A CLOSE RELATIONSHIP WITH THE RUSSIANS. HIS APPROACH IS TO OPEN DIRECT TALKS WITH THE PALE LEADERSHIP. I DON'T SEE THAT AT THE MOMENT AS THE PREFERRED OPTION. WELL I HOPE THAT THERE WILL BE MUTUAL RESTRAINT IN THE CONFLICT AND ANY FURTHER MAJOR ESCALATION IN THE CONFLICT I THINK IS GOING TO MAKE IT MUCH MORE DIFFICULT TO RESTART THE POLITICAL PROCESS. WELL MY PRIMARY PRIORITY IS TO GET THE POLITICAL PROCESS GOING AND I THINK MAJOR ESCALATIONS OF HOSTILITIES IS NOT GOING TO DEFER TO THAT OBJECTIVE. I WOULD EXPECT THAT I WOULD HAVE CONTACT WITH THE BOSNIAN GOVERNMENT WITHIN THE VERY NEAR FUTURE. THAT REMAINS TO BE SEEN. I DON'T KNOW BUT I SHARE YOUR ASSESSMENT THAT IT IS A VERY DISTURBING SITUATION AT THE MOMENT AND AT THE MOMENT WE ARE HEADING TOWARDS WAR. THAT'S THE WAY THE CARDS ARE LOOKING AT THE MOMENT AND HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR QUITE SOME TIME. WHETHER THERE WOULD BE A POSSIBILITY TO PREVENT THAT FROM HAPPENING AND TO START MOVING TOWARDS A POLITICAL SOLUTION THAT'S A VERY OPEN QUESTION INDEED. ITS VERY MUCH DEPENDENT UPON I WOULD SAY THE COORDINATION AMONG THE MEMBERS OF THE CONTACT GROUP BUT I THINK IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT WE KEEP TOGETHER. I SEE THAT AS ONE OF MY MOST IMPORTANT TASKS" Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Embargoed: 30th June 1995 13:00
- Location: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Reuters ID: LVAA0WMXT08GLHJK5GGO7OAKNIS0
- Story Text: New international mediator Carl Bildt on Thursday (June 15) presented a bleak view of the conflict in former Yugoslavia, saying Bosnia is "heading toward war" and no peace process now exists there.
At a news conference in Washington, Bildt also predicted if the United States (U.S.) Congress denies funds for a rapid reaction force to protect U.N. (United Nations) peacekeepers, Bosnian Serbs will be "rejoicing".
He rejected what he said was former President Jimmy Carter's suggestion that early direct peace talks be resumed with the Bosnian Serbs.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None