- Title: UNITED STATES: ARM WRESTLING
- Date: 23rd October 1996
- Summary: VIRGINIA BEACH, VIRGINIA, UNITED STATES (OCTOBER 23, 1996) 1. CLOSE UP SHOT OF ARMS 2. SHOT OF SCREAMING FANS. 3. VARIOUS SHOT OF WRESTLING PRELIMINARIES. 4. SHOT OF GEORGIAN WRESTLER GETTING AN ARM MASSAGE. 5. COMPETITOR ROGER NOWATSKY SAYING HE WAS INJURED A DAY EARLIER DURING A MATCH (ENGLISH). 6. AMERICAN HEAVYWEIGHT MARY EARLE PREPARING FOR A MATCH 7. EARLE LOSES TO BANYA BANKER OF THE UNITED STATES IN A PRELIMINARY MATCH. 8. ELAINE BLICK OF THE U.S. GETTING MENTALLY PREPARED FOR A MATCH. 9. BLICK LOSES TO LAIMA JANUTIENE OF LITHUANIA FOR THE WOMEN'S 70 KILOGRAM TITLE. 10. 22-YEAR-OLD U.K. TEAM CAPTAIN NEIL PICKUP, WINS A PRELIMINARY MATCH. 11. PICKUP SPEAKING "THE SPORT IS EXCELLENT REALLY. ITS GOT THE AGGRESSION OF SOMETHING LIKE BOXING OR FIGHTING WITHOUT THE ACTUAL AGRESSION. YOU'VE GOT TO GET PSYCHED AND TRY AND FOCUS. SULAMANAYA THE RUSSIAN LOOKS GOOD. THAT'S THE MAN TO BEAT. HE MAY GO DOWN TODAY."(ENGLISH). 12. PICKUP LOSING TO EMA SULAMANAYA OF RUSSIA. 13. BILL BREZENK OF THE U.S. DEFEATING EREKLE GURCHLANI OF GEORGIA FOR THE 90 KILOGRAM TITLE. Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Embargoed: 7th November 1996 12:00
- Location: VIRGINIA BEACH, VIRGINIA, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Reuters ID: LVA7CMI07WL0XN3E5XNFVRRR4CKX
- Story Text: Hundreds of men and women from 35 countries competed in the 17th annual Armwrestling Championships in Virginia Beach, Virginia on Wednesday (October 23).
The United States (U.S.) ended up taking the overall team title with Georgia and Canada finishing second and third respectively.
Wrestlers are given one minute to lock in a grip and the knuckles and thumbs of each wrestler must be showing with shoulders square to the table.
Bill Brezenk of the U.S. took the men's 90 kilogram title surviving the double elimination preliminaries in a very tough competition.
In the women's 70 Kilogram division, Laima Janutiene of Lithuania defeated a very determined Elaine Blick of the U.S.for the title.
AS well as being matched according to sex and weight, there were separate divisions for lefthanders and an over-40 masters event.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None