- Title: UNITED STATES: FIFA PRESIDENT JOAO HAVELANGE ENDS TOUR OF 1994 WORLD CUP SITES
- Date: 7th May 1992
- Summary: EAST RUTHERFORD, NEW JERSEY, USA (MAY 7, 1992) 1. HAVELANGE AND OTHERS FROM THE WORLD CUP ORGANIZING COMMITTEE TOURING THE STADIUM. 2. HAVELANGE CUTTING BIRTHDAY CAKE. 3. HAVELANGE SPEAKING AS NOTED (SPANISH SOT). Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Embargoed: 22nd May 1992 13:00
- Location: EAST RUTHERFORD, NEW JERSEY, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Reuters ID: LVAF2W738N747KX9T5VS3VRUH26I
- Story Text: Joao Havelange, the Brazilian President of the International Football Federation (FIFA), toured Giants Stadium in New Jersey on Thursday (May 7). His visit marked the end of a personal inspection of four of the nine stadia selected for the 1994 World Cup.
Havelange expressed his confidence that the stadium, which currently has a permanent artificial surface, but will be turfed for the tournament, will be ready in time for the games. He said he was happy to have the New York metropolitan area as one of the host cities because of its multi-racial make-up and efficiency at quickly transmitting events to the world.
The FIFA President was asked about the eligibility of Argentine superstar, Diego Maradona, arrested last year on drug possesion charges, to take part in the 1994 tournament. Havelange emphatically denied that FIFA had made any decision and stated that no decision would be made until the legal aspects were resolved.
While at the stadium Havelange was presented with a cake by the local organizing committee to celebrate his birthday on Friday (May 8).
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None