- Title: IRAQ: UNITED NATIONS DELEGATION MEET SENIOR IRAQI ARMS NEGOTIATORS
- Date: 15th February 1998
- Summary: BAGHDAD, IRAQ (FEBRUARY 15, 1998) (RTV(A)) 1. SLV CARS CARRYING UNITED NATIONS TECHNICAL TEAM TEAM HEADED BY STAFFAN DE MISTURA ARRIVING AT MINISTRY OF OIL (2 SHOTS) 0.09 2. MV TEAM GETTING OUT OF CARS/SCU TEAM ENTERING BUILDING (2 SHOTS) 0.21 3. SLV TEAM BEING SHOWN AROUND ROOMS (3 SHOTS) 0.31 4. SCU RUSSIAN POLITICIAN VLADIMIR ZHIRINOVSKY SAYS NO CHEMICAL WEAPONS IN PRESIDENTIAL PALACES (ENGLISH) 0.53 5. MV ZHIRINOVSKY MEETING IRAQI VICE PRESIDENT TAHA YASSIN RAMADAN THE TWO MEN EMBRACE 0.59 6. CU PORTRAIT OF IRAQI LEADER SADDAM HUSSEIN ZOOM OUT TO RAMADAN AND ZHIRINOVSKY IN MEETING/SLV MEETING (3 SHOTS) 1.23 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 2nd March 1998 12:00
- Location: BAGHDAD, IRAQBAGHDAD, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Reuters ID: LVA7SH2AFJL1S5NT12B5IN0LUZW0
- Story Text: The United Nations delegation sent to Iraq to survey disputed "presidential" sites has been meeting senior Iraqi arms negotiators in Baghdad.
The UN team, despatched by Secretary General Kofi Annan, is led by Swede Staffan de Mistura - a former UN humanitarian co-ordinator for Iraq.
Soon after arriving in the Iraqi capital the team headed to the Ministry of Oil team on Sunday (February 15) for a meeting with senior officials including the Deputy Foreign Minister Rayaid Kassie and the Oil Minister, Lieutenant General Amer Mohammed Rashid.
The inspectors are trying to ensure that Iraq's long-range missiles and weapons of mass destruction are destroyed.
Russian ultranationalist leader Vladimir Zhirinovsky, who has been in Baghdad since last Wednesday, has visited one of the compounds.He said he was certain the Iraqis had no chemical wepaons there.Earlier he met with Iraqi Vice President Taha Yassin Ramadan.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None