- Title: UNITED STATES: MICHAEL HO WINS 13TH ANNUAL XCEL PRO SURF CROWN IN SUNSET BEACH
- Date: 12th November 1996
- Summary: OAHU,HAWAII, USA (NOVEMBER 12, 1996 1. WIDE SHOT OF SUNSET BEACH. 2. MARK OCCHILUPO WIPES OUT IN THE FIRST ROUND. 3. MICHAEL HO'S 1ST PLACE PERFECT SCORE RUN THROUGH THE TUBE 4. TODD HOLLAND SURFING IN THE FINAL ROUND. 5. REUBEN BALMORES OF KAUAI, HAWAII WHO FINISHED IN FOURTH PLACE. 6. FLAG CHANGE HALTS COMPETITION. 7. AWARDS CEREMONY (MICHAEL HO IS ON THE FAR RIGHT) Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Embargoed: 27th November 1996 12:00
- Location: OAHU, HAWAII, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Reuters ID: LVA4H26XFD9Q9U8ACHFCBT7Y0UJD
- Story Text: Michael Ho won the 13th annual XCEL Pro Surf crown in Sunset Beach, Hawaii on Tuesday (November 12th) turning in a strong performance.
The American surfer scored perfect tens from all five judges on one of his preliminary runs.
It was the 39 year-old Ho's 4th victory in the championship which was held with 2-5 metre waves in driving rain off Oahu island's Sunset Beach.
Australian Mark Occhilupo finished second and Todd Holland of Florida third.
Over 125 surfers competed in the 11,000 US dollar event.
Defending champion Kaipo Jaquias was knocked out in the second round of the competition.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None