- Title: CYPRUS: UNITED STATES FORCES ARE BASED AT CYPRUS FOR THE FIRST TIME.
- Date: 20th April 1974
- Summary: 1. GV Helicopters coming in to land (2 shots) 0.29 2. SV Marines disembark 0.37 3. SV Marines and equipment past camera 0.48 4. GV PAN Equipment on runway 0.56 5. LV Another helicopter landing 1.04 6. SV Equipment loaded into lorry (3 shots) 1.22 Initials SC/120 SC/142 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 5th May 1974 13:00
- Location: DHEKELIA, CYPRUS
- Country: Cyprus
- Reuters ID: LVAGT5OI8MXK2QTUWW0W324OU6Y
- Story Text: United States forces are using Cyprus as a base for the first time.
Naval marines were landed by helicopter at Dhekelia military base off the amphibious assault ship Iwo Jima on Friday (19 April), after Britain agreed to allow the United States to use its Cypriot bases during joint Anglo-U.S. operations to clear Egypt's Suez Canal.
Another Cypriot British Base, Akrotiri, is to be used for assembling mine-detecting helicopters which will be transferred to the Iwo Jima after completion, and shipped to the Canal area to take part in the clearance operations. The Canal has been blocked since the Arab-Israeli war of June, 1967. The Egyptian Government has accepted British-American aid in clearing it of mines, sunken ships, and general war debris.
Previously, United States forces have only made passing visits to Cypriot British bases which were retained after the former colony's independence in the face of Arab criticism to be continued British presence. The Cypriot Government was informed in advance of the British agreement to allow U.S. forces to use its bases.
The Cypriot Government gave its approval to the arrangement.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None