- Title: IRAQ: NINE PEOPLE KILLED AND NINE WOUNDED IN A UNITED STATES AIR STRIKE
- Date: 31st July 2004
- Summary: (W2) FALLUJA , IRAQ (JULY 30, 2004) (REUTERS) 1. SLV PEOPLE GATHERING OUTSIDE HOSPITAL; SLV AMBULANCE ARRIVING AT HOSPITAL; SCU SIGN READING FALLUJA HOSPITAL 0.23 2. INTERIOR HOSPITAL WITH WOUNDED MAN; WOUNDED CHILD ON BED; SCU WOUNDED WOMAN (7 SHOTS) 1.05 3. SOUDBITE (Arabic), DOCTOR ADNAN CHICHAN, SAYING: "The number of wounded children that arrived at our hospital is five children in addition to four women. The total number of the dead is ten people." 1.19 4. SCU WOUNDED CHILD 1.24 5. SCU MAN DONATING BLOOD/ PAN TO BLOOD BAG; IRAQI NATIONAL GUARDSMAN DONATING BLOOD; SCU BLACK BLASTIC BAGS CONTAINING HUMAN REMAINS 1.47 6. PEOPLE CARRYING COFFIN SHOUTING "GOD IS GREATEST" 1.59 7. SLV DAY SHOT OF DESTRYED HOUSES; CRATER IN GROUND; SLV DAMAGED HOUSES; SLV DAMAGED CONCRETE SLABS/ DAMAGED CAR; SLV DAMAGED HOUSE (5 SHOTS) 2.40 8. SLV SHOPS ON FIRE / FIRE FIGHTERS DOUSING FIRE; SLV SHOPS ON FIRE/ FIRE FIGHTERS COMBATING FIRE 9. FIRE FIGHTERS ENGINE NEAR SHOPS ON FIRE/ SMOKE RISING; WIDE OF SHOS ON FIRE/ SMOKE RISING 3.15 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 15th August 2004 13:00
- Location: FALLUJA, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Reuters ID: LVA1UIMB66TS0931QP59TB16A6V1
- Story Text: Nine people killed an another nine wounded in a U.S.
air strike on a building in the Iraqi city of Fallua.
A U.S. air strike destroyed a building in the Iraqi
city of Falluja late on Thursday (July 29, 2004) after a
gunbattle between insurgents and U.S. Marines on the edge
of the city, residents said.
Hospital sources and witnesses said that ten was killed
in in the airstrike and at least nine were wounded
including five children .
"The number of wounded children that arrived at our
hospital is five children in addition to four women. The
total number of the dead is ten people" said doctor of
Falluja Hospital, Adnan Chichan. The number of dead was
later revised to nine people.
A number of bodies were ripped to pieces and were
collected at black bags at the hospitql morgue.
Before the air strike, U.S. forces had battled with
guerrillas on the eastern edge of the city.
A U.S. military spokesman said on Thursday that Iraqi
security forces and U.S. Marines had clashed with
insurgents and had called in an air strike on a target in
an industrial area in eastern Falluja.
"The operation is still ongoing," the spokesman said,
adding that it was too early to assess casualties in the
Residents said that U.S. planes bombed targets in the
city at around 0600a.m.(0200gmt) in the morning, setting a
number of shops on fire.
There is no immediate report on the casualties and no
comment from the U.S. army on the airstrike.
Several times over the past few months, U.S. forces
have targeted buildings in the city that they say were
being used by militants linked to al Qaeda ally Abu Musab
After fierce clashes in Falluja in April that killed
hundreds of Iraqis, U.S. forces withdrew from the city and
handed over security to an Iraqi force. Critics say the
city has become a safe haven for guerrillas and kidnappers.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None