- Title: UNITED KINGDOM: BOXER MIKE TYSON DEFEATS LOU SAVARESE IN JUST 38 SECONDS
- Date: 24th June 2000
- Summary: GLASGOW, SCOTLAND, UK (JUNE 25, 2000) 1. VARIOUS STILLS OF CONTEST 2. VARIOUS STILLS OF TYSON CELEBRATING VICTORY 3. STILL OF LOU SAVARESE 4. TWO STILLS OF PROMOTER FRANK WARREN WITH BLOODSHOT EYE Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 9th July 2000 13:00
- Location: GLASGOW, SCOTLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Reuters ID: LVA78D4UC1ZTB8NJXCRCHQ6DZZS9
- Story Text: Mike Tyson needed just 38 seconds to dispose of another
pitifully inadequate challenger in his latest step on the road
to a possible world title fight against Lennox Lewis, and then
made offensive boasts and outrageous comments.
The former undisputed world champion felled
fellow-American Lou Savarese on Saturday (June 24) with his
first punch in their scheduled 10-round non-title bout at
Tyson threw a left hook in the 15th second to send
Savarese crashing to the canvas. He then floored referee John
Coyle who became entangled with Tyson's left arm as the
33-year-old American sprang on to the attack.
A series of blows left Savarese helpless on the ropes and
after 38 seconds Coyle had seen enough, stopping the fight
despite protests from Savarese and his corner.
Tyson said after the fight: "I am the most ruthless,
brutal champion ever. There is no one who can match me. I want
your (Lennox Lewis's) heart. I want to eat your children."
The result was a successful end to a turbulent week for
the troubled Tyson, who has been served a writ by a London
jeweller for alleged non-payment for 630,000 US dollars worth
Promoter Frank Warren appeared at the fight with a badly
bloodied eye which went some way to confirm rumours of a
physical confrontation with Tyson over the allegedly unpaid
jewellery bill at a London shop.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None