- Title: ITALY: GENERAL STRIKE TO PROTEST AT RIGHT-WING VIOLENCE AND ECONOMIC SITUATION.
- Date: 23rd April 1975
- Summary: 1. GV Transport Ministry building, closed 0.10 2. GV people waiting at empty bus depot (2 shots) 0.27 3. GV Parked buses 0.32 4. GV Deserted railway platforms (2 shots) 0.43 5. GVS Closed banks (2 shots) 0.53 6. GV PAN Closed school 1.01 7. SCU Communist 'hammer and sickle' sign on wall 1.05 8. GV AND SV Demonstrators with flags and banners (4 shots) 1.26 Initials CL/1923 CL/1937 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 8th May 1975 13:00
- Location: ROME, ITALY
- Country: Italy
- Reuters ID: LVA2EWX8XAXZO2NHU7558GL28Q9Q
- Story Text: All commercial, government, industrial and transport activity ground to a halt in Italy on Tuesday (22 April) when some 12 million Italian workers went on general strike.
The strike had originally been called to demand new government investment policies to safeguard employment. But, following recent riots and killings, it also became a protest at right-wing violence.
Three people have died in rioting. One was a left-wing student and another a Communist. Italian trades unions are becoming increasingly disturbed by the growing militancy of some right-wing elements in Italy.
Tuesday also became a day of demonstrations and marches in Rome and in other cities.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None