- Title: ITALY: GENERAL STRIKE AFFECTS TEN MILLION WORKERS IN MAJOR CITIES.
- Date: 18th October 1974
- Summary: 1. GV AND PAN Marchers with banner. (2 shots) 0.16 2. GVS Marchers with banners and flags. 0.26 3. GV Demonstration past camera. 0.32 4. GVS Marchers pass with banner. 0.43 5. GV Marchers past camera with 'Alfa Romeo' banners. 1.00 Initials VS 23.44 VS 23.57 (NOTE TO EDITORS: We like to draw attention to our item 10325/74. serviced on 17 October entitled "Italy: Major industrial cities hit by first general strike called during a Government crisis.") Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 2nd November 1974 12:00
- Location: ROME, ITALY
- Country: Italy
- Reuters ID: LVAEAJT92QQ78P4WZ9X51W0ER6O2
- Story Text: Ten million Italian workers staged a four-hour strike on Thursday (17 October) at the request of the country's three main trades union federations.
It was the first time Italy's trades unions had called their members out on strike while the country was in the throes of a Government crisis.
The workers want more money and more jobs. They closed shops, offices and factories for up to four hours. This action came while Italy was without a Government .... showing the workers were in a tough mood.
Meanwhile, Prime Minister-Designate Amintore Fanfani began detailed bargaining with Italy's four centre-left parties in an effort to form a new Government.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None