- Title: THAILAND: U.S. STRIKE FORCE IN BANGKOK.
- Date: 10th June 1960
- Summary: NO available shotlist Initials BA/ES Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 25th June 1960 13:00
- Location: BANGKOK, THAILAND
- Country: Thailand
- Reuters ID: LVAD0OWLSLDGBYKNJEA3FSARTH9M
- Story Text: The advance party of the Composite Air Strike Force of the United States arrives in Don Muang airport in Thailand on June 7, for an exercise code named "Operation Mobile Yoke".
About 400 men and 56 aircraft are involved in the exercise which is designed to familiarize pilots with Thai air space.
The Composite Air Strike Force left the United States on June 1, for Clark Air Force base in the Philippines of this training mission which will deploy some of the planes to Formosa and Thailand.
The Strike Forces planes include Voodoos, RF 101 Reconnaissance jets, F100 Super Sabre jet fighters, AB-50 Aerial Tankers, and Cargo Transports to C-130's.
Maj. Gen. Preston, who flew in from USAF headquarters in Washington to observe the exercise told pressmen the exercise was a "routine" manoeuvre and it was held to "train air crews in proficiency and capability in order to deploy them all over the world at a moment's notice".
The exercise is conducted from Don Muang airport at the invitation of Thailand and under the operational control of 13th Air Force Commander.
Fighter and reconnaissance training is also being planned for the Strike Force in Taiwan at Tao Yian and Kung Kuan air bases.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None