- Title: CYPRUS: DOCTORS AND DENTISTS STRIKE FOR BETTER PAY AND CONDITIONS.
- Date: 29th December 1972
- Summary: 1. GV & CU EXTERIOR of general hospital with eigne 0.08 2. LV Ambulances parked outside 0.13 3. LV ??? doors 0.16 4. SV PAN INTERIOR Receptionist in empty waiting room 0.27 5. SV & CU Men, women and children waiting (3 shots) 0.38 6. SV Empty doctor's office (2 shots) 0.47 7. CU Deserted bench in hall 0.48 8. SV Empty beds in casualty department 0.54 9. SV Patient hobbles away from hospital on crutches 1.01 Initials BB/1706 DS/MR/BB/1701 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 13th January 1973 12:00
- Location: NICOSIA, CYPRUS
- Country: Cyprus
- Reuters ID: LVA57EBGGTH6ID384FDVERNEG46A
- Story Text: Doctors and dentists in Cyprus have struck over a delay in settlement of pay claims and ??? conditions.
The strike began on Wednesday (27 December). The doctors have been dissatisfied with current overtime rates, and are seeking a mandatory retirement age to encourage younger professional men wanting promotion.
SYNOPSIS: Doctors and dentists throughout Cyprus began a strike of indefinite length on Wednesday. They were protesting protracted contract negotiations over pay and working conditions.
Patients were warned to stay away from the ??? and most did. But some people from outlying areas who knew nothing of the strike, milled in the empty hallways before leaving without treatment. Only emergency cases were handled in the nearly deserted hospitals.
The doctors who stayed out of their offices hope that the strike will end the delay in settlement of demands over payment for overtime work, and a change in the grading of doctors. They also want a mandatory retirement ago to give younger doctors chance for promotion.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None