- Title: U.K: APES IN ZOO FEELING EFFECTS OF DOCKERS STRIKE -- THERE ARE NO BANANAS.
- Date: 7th August 1972
- Summary: 1. CU "Suka" baby orangutan 0.06 2. SV & CU Keeper feeds Suka with last bananas (2 shots) 0.22 3. MV Chimpanzee swinging in cage 0.30 4. LV ZOOM IN TO Keeper walking to monkey house carrying oranges 0.38 5. SV ZOOM IN TO CU Mother and baby chimpanzee sitting in straw 0.54 6. SV & CU keeper feeds chimpanzee and baby with orange (2 shots) 1.04 7. SV Keeper feeding gorilla through bars with orange 1.17 8. SV & CU Keeper feeds gorilla "Guy" (2 shots) 1.22 9. SV Visitors singing "Yes, we have no bananas today" PAN TO chimpanzee in cage. 1.31 Initials BB/1835 LD/BOB/BB/1850 VISNEWS Cameraman Bill McConville went to the Zoo today (Monday) to record the monkey reaction to the dockers' strike. Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 22nd August 1972 13:00
- Location: LONDON, U.K.
- Country: United Kingdom
- Reuters ID: LVAADX8STVTLKE0S1XHZQYHP1AZF
- Story Text: The inhabitants of London Zoo's Monkey House are feeling the effects of the dockers' strike--there is a shortage of bananas.
Bananas are high on the diet priority of the apes and monkeys--and one of these most feeling the shortage is baby Suka, a 15-pound (7 kilo) orangutan from Borneo. also suffering from being cut down to one daily banana from the usual dozen--Gorilla Guy...but he's most philosophical about it, he's old enough to remember the wartime shortage of bananas.....
SYNOPSIS: Bananas are high on the staple diet of all the monkeys at London Zoo--and the chimpanzees are less than delighted with a substitute of oranges.
Lack of warm sunshine also makes the shortage seem worse--and Bunty and her daughter Saying try to keep warmer in the straw.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None