- Title: KENYA: KENYATTA HOSPITAL AFFECTED BY GOVERNMENT DOCTORS' STRIKE
- Date: 9th November 1971
- Summary: 1. GV EXTERIOR.. hospital 0.05 2. CU Sign 'Kenyatta National Hospital' 0.08 3. SV People entering hospital 0.16 4. SV INTERIOR..out-patients seated waiting attention 0.21 5. GV & CU Patients registering with clerk (2 shots) 0.35 6. SV Nurse taking baby's temperature 0.43 7. CU Patients seated in corridor 0.48 8. SV Nurses with patients (2 shots) 0.56 9. GV Patients seated in corridor 1.04 Initials ES 1523 ES 1534 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 24th November 1971 12:00
- Location: NAIROBI, KENYA
- Country: Kenya
- Reuters ID: LVA6MU0SOGIZV1LXHRHID35AU84M
- Story Text: Some government doctors continued to strike in Kenya on Monday (8 November), as they demanded more pay and better conditions of service. Hundreds of patients queued at Nairobi's Kenyatta Hospital, where only serious cases were being dealt with.
The strike, which began on Friday (5 November) was declared illegal by the Labour Ministry because the Ministry said that negotiating machinery had not bean exhausted. Because the strike was declared illegal, twenty-nine government doctors have been charged in connection with continuing the strike.
Reports from various areas of kenya, however, indicated that some government doctors were going back to work.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None