- Title: ITALY: HOTEL WORKERS DEMONSTRATE AT START OF THREE-DAY STRIKE
- Date: 1st July 1971
- Summary: 1. GV & SV Striking workers with banners assembled at Piazza della Republica (2 shots) 0.08 2. GV & SV Strikers with banners marching (3 shots) 0.29 3. CU Detachment of police past. 0.35 4. GV Tourists in entrance of Hotel Exelsior 0.40 5. SV Tourists carrying bags out of hotel 0.46 6. SV More tourists carry bags into boot of car. 0.58 Initials BB/0037 TH/AE/BB/0045 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 16th July 1971 13:00
- Location: ROME, ITALY
- Country: Italy
- Reuters ID: LVA18ODDDNQ56YGGT9BUOY7L1LU5
- Story Text: Tens of thousands of tourists were bidding a brusque "Arriverderci" to Italy today (Thursday)as the country's 160,00 hotel workers went on strike.
So the height of the tourist season plummets to rock-bottom and deals a further blow to Italy's flagging industry. The strike--which will last for three days, possibly five-- was called after the breakdown in talks between the unions and the Labour Ministry over a new national
This coverage takes in the scene at Rome. While tourists were making tracks for the nearest border, the hotel workers were forming up for a protest march--not far from Grand Hotel.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None