- Title: CHILE: STUDENT UNREST AND TRANSPORT STRIKE UPSETS THE PEACE OF VALPARAISO
- Date: 4th September 1973
- Summary: 1. TGV Coaches in park 0.11 2. SV Troops guarding park with guns 0.14 3. TGV Gate of compound 0.18 4. GV PAN Coaches in park (2 shots) 0.30 5. WIPE. LV ZOOM OUT Flags flying at University building 0.40 6. LV PAN Troops guarding building 0.45 7. GV Damaged window from outside and inside (2 shots) 0.51 8. SV Various shots of damage and debris in classrooms (5 shots) 1.10 9. SV Officials in corridor of building 1.15 Initials BB/2036 CG/PN/BB/2106 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 19th September 1973 13:00
- Location: VALPARAISO, CHILE
- Country: Chile
- Reuters ID: LVA2C8HLGZ8JMM6JLP3DF1P8BHSR
- Story Text: The normally placid lifestyle enjoyed by inhabitants of Valparaiso, Chile's second largest city and major seaport, has been disrupted with recent outbursts of student violence at the local Catholic university... and by the longstanding strike by owners of privately run buses, taxis and trucks.
For nine days up until Friday (August 31) three hundred right-wing students occupied the main building of the university to stage of protest against President Allende and his government. Then an equal number of left-going pro-Allends students mounted an attack.
In the resulting melee classrooms were damaged, books and desks burned, and windows shattered. The students were armed with rocks, sticks and -- according to reports -- possibly guns. Order was finally restored by armed police, who are now guarding the closed University buildings.
Meanwhile, essential supplies are running low, and transport is down to a few government run buses as private owners continue their five-week strike for spare parts and new vehicles. Five thousand buses, taxis and trucks are bring kept in a huge compound at Renaca, north of Valparaiso until the dispute is settled.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None