- Title: FRANCE : PUBLIC TRANSPORT STRIKE
- Date: 30th March 1995
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (MARCH 30, 1995) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 1. SV RAILWAY STATION AND CROWDS OF PASSENGERS 0.09 2. SV BOARDS SIGNALLING TRAIN CANCELLATIONS 0.11 3. SV PASSENGERS LOOKING FOR INFORMATION 0.19 4. SV PASSENGERS WAITING FOR BUSES 0.36 5. SV METRO STATIONS WITH SIGNS ANNOUNCING CANCELLATIONS 0.43 6. SV PASSENGERS ON METRO PLATFORM 0.49 7. SV RER STATIONS WITH FEW PASSENGERS 1.01 8. SV ORLY AIRPORT - BOARDS SHOWING CANCELLATIONS, PASSENGERS WAITING 1.29 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Embargoed: 14th April 1995 13:00
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Reuters ID: LVACHKBWBA7IOL7EPVVR24RVOJ8P
- Story Text: Paris was virtually paralysed by a wave of public transport strikes on Thursday (March 30) as workers demanded higher pay and an end to layoffs.
On the rail network about one train in four was running according to officials of the national railway company SNCF.
In Paris the RATP transport authority said eight of the 13 lines on the Paris underground network, the Metro, were closed and on the five open lines commuters had to wait an average 20 minutes between trains.
There were few buses on the streets of Paris and huge traffic jams up to 15 km (10 miles) long formed on motorways into the capital.
Air travellers were also affected as the state-owned domestic airline Air Inter cancelled one flight in two. Workers there were on strike for the third straight day to protest against planned layoffs.
French media dubbed the strikes, in the midst of a presidential election campaign, "black Thursday" and said they signalled a mounting pressure for wage rises now the economy is returning to growth.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None