- Title: ETHIOPIA: MONTH-LONG STRIKE BY TEACHERS ENDS
- Date: 20th March 1974
- Summary: 1. SV EXT. Teachers' Association Building PULL BACK GV Teachers in courtyard 0.08 2. SVs Teachers standing around in gardem 0.13 3. SV Three female teachers 0.16 4. GV Groups around courtyard 0.21 5. TV & PAN ACROSS Groups of teachers from window 0.27 6. SV Teacherws around conference table 0.32 7. CU Teacher 0.35 8. CU Teacher, PAN TO chairman of meeting 0.42 9. GV Teachers around table 0.54 Initials SC/1647 SC/1700 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 4th April 1974 13:00
- Location: ADDIS ABABA, ETHIOPIA
- Country: Ethiopia
- Reuters ID: LVAALI2E6KJJXAAI2MHIH2A95R3Q
- Story Text: A month-long strike by Ethiopia's 35,000 teachers ended on Tuesday (19 March). The teachers agreed to go back to work on Wednesday (20 March).
The teachers -- from primary and secondary schools - stopped work on February the 18th. Their demands included better pay, and a revision of a salary scale introduced in January.
The Ethiopian Government's response to their demands was authorised by the Teachers' Association on Saturday (15 March). The Government also agreed to the formation of a students' Union at the Haile Selassie University, and to the publication of a students' newspaper. Both were banned for some time under the former Government, which resigned at the end of February.
The teachers joined other groups in Ethiopia -- including priests and civil aviation workers, who have held strikes in recent weeks to demand higher pay.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None