- Title: ITALY: GONDOLIERS OF VENICE STRIKE ON ST VALENTINE'S DAY
- Date: 14th February 2005
- Summary: (EU)VENICE, ITALY (FEBRUARY 14, 2005) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL) 1. VARIOUS GONDOLA BOATS COVERED OVER WITH PROTECTIVE PLASTIC ON CANAL 0.10 2. VARIOUS OF GONDOLIERS STANDING BY BOATS 0.21 3. CLOSE OF SIGN SAYING THE GONDOLIERS WOULD LIKE TO APOLOGISE FOR THEIR STRIKE TO THE PUBLIC 0.26 4. VARIOUS GONDOLAS TIED UP ALONG THE CANAL 0.49 5. SCU (SOUNDBITE) (Italian) ROBERTO LUPPI, PRESIDENT OF THE GONDOLIERS ASSOCIATION SAYING: We are asking to be left outside of the parking law and that fixed positions of control are placed in various positions of the city to properly control the speed of the boats." 1.08 6. WIDE OF ST MARK'S CATHEDRAL / ST MARK'S SQUARE WITH PIDGEONS AND TOURISTS 1.11 7. SLV MAN AND WOMAN KISSING 1.16 8. SLV COUPLE WALKING ALONG, WOMAN HOLDING A ROSE 1.22 9. SCU (SOUNDBITE) (Italian) ITALIAN TOURIST LILO TEODOSSI SAYING: "It's a shame but anyway we can do something else in St. Marks Square. 1.27 10. VARIOUS GONDOLAS BLOCKING GRAND CANAL 1.34 11. WIDE OF GONDOLAS PATROLLED BY CARABINIERI MILITARY POLICE BOAT ON GRAND CANAL 1.41 12. SLV POLICE BOAT SAILING BY GONDALAS 1.50 SLV GONDOLIER IN EMPTY BOAT 1.56 13. SLV COUPLES WALKING HAND IN HAND 2.06 14. SMV (SOUNDBITE) (Italian) PENSIONERS GIUSEPPE AND MARIA DONA SAYING: "We are happy enough anyway to walk around and look at this beautiful history." 2.16 15. VARIOUS ST. MARKS SQUARE WITH TOURISTS AND BIRDS 2.26 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 1st March 2005 12:00
- Location: VENICE,ITALY
- Country: Italy
- Reuters ID: LVA78SQ3ESX9F0SAEPM0MTGL4KYH
- Story Text: St. Valentine sweethearts have been left high and
dry in Venice as a strike called by gondoliers means you
can't get a romantic trip down a canal for love nor money.
It may be St. Valentines day but Venetian gondoliers have
left their romantic sentiment at home and called a strike.
The lagoon-city's estimated 400 gondoliers are protesting against a
ban restricting the use of their boats during morning rush hour.
The ban means gondolas must be parked from one oclock
in the morning (0000gmt) until 10.30 (0930g).
City authorities see the move as a means to cut down
the risk of collisions on Venices waterways - but
gondoliers have thrown cold water over the initiative
saying better patrols
should be set up to restrict the speed of motorised boats.
"We are asking to be left outside of the parking law
and that fixed positions of control are placed in various
positions of the city to properly control the speed of the
boats", said Roberto Luppi, President of the Gondoliers
For most of the couples celebrating St. Valentines Day
in Venice the lack of an expensive ride on a gondola didnt
really spoil the day. The beautiful sunshine inspired most
lovers to walk hand-in- hand through the citys historic
streets and squares.
"It's a shame" said Italian tourist Lilo Teodossi
celebrating St. Valentines with his wife.
"But anyway we can do something else in St. Marks Square",
he said shrugging his shoulders.
"We are happy enough anyway to walk around and look at
this beautiful history", said pensioners Giuseppe and
Maria Dona who added they probably would not have been able
to afford a gondola trip anyway.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None