- Title: CANADA: Vanessa Redgrave and Alessandro Gassman star in "A Month By The Lake"
- Date: 27th October 1994
- Summary: TORONTO, ONTARIO, CANADA (RECENT) (REUTERS) REDGRAVE SAYING THURMAN'S CHARACTER UPSETS THE APPLECART BECAUSE SHE IS SO DELIGHTFUL, AND THE MAJOR FALLS HEAD OVER HEELS IN LOVE WITH HER (ENGLISH) ALESSANDRO GASSMAN SAYING HIS CHARACTER IS A TYPICAL ITALIAN PLAYBOY ONLY INTERESTED IN FOREIGN GIRLS (ENGLISH)
- Embargoed: 11th November 1994 12:00
- Location: TORONTO, ONTARIO, CANADA
- Country: Canada
- Topics: Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA79AKPC3S1I55HHXSZJT4BIQFN
- Story Text: An Italian gigolo and English aristocracy clash in Vanessa Redgrave's new comedy, "A Month By the Lake." Edward Fox and Italian Alessandro Gassman co-star in the film, set around Italy's idyllic Lake Como.
Redgrave stars as Miss Bentley, a proper English woman who returns to her favorite resort on the lake after the death of her father.
Her holiday, however, does not go as expected. Miss Bentley is attracted to another guest, Major Wilshaw, played by veteran actor Edward Fox.
Adding to the confusion is the beautiful and mysterious American nanny Miss Beaumont, played by Uma Thurman. The Major promptly falls in love with the young woman.
The three characters embark on a month-long series of games of love and desire as the country around them approaches the beginning of World War II.
Gassman plays Vittorio, a handsome young local with his eyes on Redgrave. She in turn uses Vittorio to make the Major jealous.
The film was directed by John Ivrin, whose other credits include "Hamburger Hill" and "Widow's Peak." It's based on a short story of the same name by H.E. Bates.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None