- Title: INDIA: AGREEMENT WITH RUMANIA ON JOINT OIL EXPLORATION AND DEVELOPMENT PROJECTS.
- Date: 24th May 1976
- Summary: 1. GV EXTERIOR of Parliament building (2 shots) 0.05 2. SCU INTERIOR Mr. Manescu seated talking with Mrs. Gandhi 0.30 3. CU newsmen 0.34 4. SC Indian and Rumanian delegation led by Mrs. Gandhi and Mr. Manescu sit at table for talks 0.45 5. CU Manescu 0.50 6. SV Mrs. Gandhi 0.54 7. SV delegates seated talking 0.59 Initials RH/1711 RH/GD/MR/1723 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 8th June 1976 13:00
- Location: DELHI, INDIA
- Country: India
- Reuters ID: LVABJ34JJNKF0PAR0E86R349Z9JL
- Story Text: India and Rumania have concluded a series of co-operation agreements including joint work on oil projects. The Rumanian Prime Minister, Mr. Manea Manescu, and India's Prime Minister, Mrs. Indira Gandhi, met in her capital Delhi on Saturday (22 May) and signed the agreements two days later. Rumania and India will co-operate on joint projects in both countries and elsewhere in the world. They will also exchange information on oil prospecting and drilling.
India hopes to be self-sufficient in oil production within about five years. There have been major finds on the Indian continental shelf and there are promising sings of further off-shore discoveries. There are also exploration ventures under way on land in several Indian states. Rumania has assisted the Indian oil industry for several years with technical advice, oil drilling rigs and machinery. Other nations involved with Indian oil development are the Soviet Union, the United States and Canada.
Further agreements signed in Delhi covered economic, commercial, scientific, technological and cultural co-operation. The signings came at the end of a five-day visit by Mr. Manescu who had come form talks in Iran, and continued his trip on an official visit to Sri Lanka.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None