- Title: TURKEY: IRAQI OIL MINISTER RASHID TALKS ABOUT REOPENING OF OIL PIPELINE
- Date: 4th March 1996
- Summary: CEYHAN, TURKEY (MARCH 4, 1996) (REUTERS TELEVISION - ACCESS ALL) 1. SV IRAQI OIL MINISTER AMIR MUHAMMAD RASHEED LEAVING IN CAR (2 SHOTS) 0.18 2. SV NEWS CONFERENCE (2 SHOTS) 0.27 3. SV RASHEED SPEAKING (ENGLISH) 1.15 4. SLV RASHEED AT NEWS CONFERENCE 1.21 5. SV RASHEED AND OFFICIALS IN PUMPING STATION CONTROL ROOM (2 SHOTS) 1.42 6. LV PIPELINES AND TANKS AT PUMPING STATION (6 SHOTS) 2.18 7. SV RASHEED AND OFFICIALS SEATED LOOKING AT MAP OF PIPELINE ROUTE (2 SHOTS) 2.35 SEQUENCE 3 TRANSCRIPT: RASHEED: "THERE HAS BEEN EXCHANGE OF LETTERS BETWEEN THE UNITED NATIONS AND THE IRAQI GOVERNMENT ACCORDING TO WHICH THERE HAS BEEN DISCUSSION ON A DEAL FOR OIL, OIL FOR FOOD AND MEDICINE. THE RESULTS OF THE DISCUSSION WERE QUITE POSITIVE, IT WAS CONDUCTED IN A VERY OBJECTIVE AND CONSTRUCTIVE WAY. THERE WAS GOOD WILL ON BOTH SIDES TO COME TO A CONCLUSION, THERE WERE A FEW ELEMENTS WHICH NEED FURTHER FOLLOW UP. THEY ARE BEING FOLLOWED UP AND HOPEFULLY THE SECOND ROUND OF TALKS WILL START ON THE 11TH OF MARCH, NEXT WEEK, IN NEW YORK." Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Embargoed: 19th March 1996 12:00
- Location: CAYHAN, TURKEY
- Country: Turkey
- Reuters ID: LVA3A5GWJH8T2BQ9RJ4HHMEYRC1U
- Story Text: An Iraqi delegation arrived in Turkey on Monday (March 4) for talks on the reopening of an oil pipeline from Iraq which has been idle since United Nations (U.N.) sanctions were imposed on Baghdad for its 1990 invasion of Kuwait.
The semi-official Anatolian news agency said the delegation, led by Iraqi Oil Minister Amir Muhammad Rasheed, arrived at Turkey's southeastern Habur border gate with Iraq.
They then left for Turkey's Mediterranean port of Ceyhan to examine the oil terminal at the Turkish end of the 1,000-km (600-mile) twin pipeline from Iraq's Kirkuk oilfield.
Iraqi Oil Minister Amir Muhammad Rasheed said: "We are very positive about talks with the United Nations. There is goodwillon both sides".
The Iraqi delegation was expected to have talks on Tuesday on technical issues with Turkish officials from the energy and foreign ministries.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None