- Title: IRAQ: GUNMEN ATTACK POLICE STATION/ EXPLOSION AT KIRKUK OIL PIPELINE
- Date: 16th June 2004
- Summary: (W4) RAMADI, 110KM WEST OF BAGHDAD, IRAQ (JUNE 16, 2004) (REUTERS) 1. VARIOUS OF VEHICLE WHICH WAS HIT BY THE CAR BOMB BURNING/ CHILDREN THROWING STONES AT CAR 0.07 2. VARIOUS OF CAR ON FIRE (4 SHOTS) 0.29 3. WIDE OF SCENE WITH FIRE TRUCK AND MAN WITH FIRE HOSE EXTINGUISHING FIRE 0.33 4. SLV MEN CARRYING BODY AWAY FROM SITE 0.43 5. CLOSE OF BURNT OUT CAR WHICH WAS CARRYING EXPLOSIVES 0.49 6. WIDE OF U.S. TROOPS IN AREA WHERE CAR EXPLODED 0.56 7. SLV AMBULANCES AT SITE 1.02 8. WIDE OF TROOPS STANDING NEXT TO CAR WHICH BLEW UP 1.09 9. CLOSE OF INTERIOR OF DESTROYED CAR 1.15 10. VARIOUS OF CAR WHICH BLEW UP 1.21 11. VARIOUS OF WOUNDED IRAQI IN HOSPITAL 1.59 12. SLV IRAQI POLICE AND SOLDIERS NEAR BURNT OUT CAR 2.04 (W3) SALMAN PAK, 50 KM SOUTH-EAST BAGHDAD, IRAQ (JUNE 16, 2004) (REUTERS) 13. WIDE OF AREA NEAR POLICE STATION WHICH WAS ATTACKED 2.08 14. VARIOUS OF IRAQI POLICE STANDING BY DESTROYED CARS 2.22 15. WIDE OF IRAQI POLICE AND CARS 2.30 16. VARIOUS OF POLICE IN AREA / DESTROYED CARS 2.45 (W3) KIRKUK, IRAQ (JUNE 16, 2004) (REUTERS) 17. VARIOUS OF FIRE AND BLACK SMOKE AT PIPELINE 2.56 18. CLOSE OF BURN ING OIL 3.04 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 1st July 2004 13:00
- Location: RAMADI, SALMAN PAK, 50 KM SOUTH-EAST BAGHDAD, KIRKUK, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Reuters ID: LVAAXEHWLUBI71DDBNPQXV2JD1LJ
- Story Text: Gunmen attack police station near Baghdad. Car bomb
in western Iraq kills at least four Iraqis.
A car bomb attack destroyed an Iraqi police car and
a civilian four-wheel-drive vehicle carrying foreigners in
the western city of Ramadi on Wednesday (June 16, 2004), killing
at least four Iraqis, hospital sources said.
Witnesses said several foreigners were also believed to
be among the casualties. A doctor at Ramadi's main
hospital, said four bodies had been brought in after the
Earlier four people were wounded when fighting erupted
between gunmen and police forces following an attack on a
police station south-east of Baghdad.
Witnesses said at least three civilians and one
policeman were wounded in a gunbattle.
Insurgents have stepped up pressure on Iraq's new
interim government just two weeks ahead of the formal end
to the U.S. occupation.
Earlier, gunmen killed a senior official in Iraq's
North Oil Company. Iraqi police said gunmen opened fire at
Ghazi Talabani's car with automatic rifles as he drove to
work, killing him and seriously injuring his driver.
In Kirkuk an explosion ripped through a crude oil pipeline
linking northern Iraqi fields, a North Oil company official
The official, who asked not to be named, said that it
was probably sabotage.
Witnesses said fire was still raging in the pipeline
running from Dibis to a pumping station around the city of
Kirkuk, 50 km (30 miles) to the west.
Saboteurs blasted an oil pipeline feeding storage tanks
at the southern city of Basra in the Gulf, cutting most
Industry sources in Iraq said repairs could take seven
to 10 days, costing Baghdad nearly $60 million a day at
current market prices if no deliveries are resumed during
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None