- Title: FRANCE: Children cry as French riot police move in on Calais migrants' camp
- Date: 23rd September 2009
- Summary: POLICE LIFTING CHILD AWAY MIGRANT CHILD CRYING ON AID WORKERS SHOULDER
- Embargoed: 8th October 2009 13:00
- Location: France
- Country: France
- Topics: Crime / Law Enforcement,Domestic Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA57G3A7Y8RMO1E99MKTUO942XY
- Story Text: Children were among those who were detained by French riot police as they closed down a makeshift refugee camp near the entrance to the Channel Tunnel that the government says has become a magnet for criminals and people smugglers.
The children were among approximately 200 people who were detained amid scuffles with members of French pressure groups who had gathered to prevent the so-called Calais Jungle being dismantled.
Protesters cried and accused the police of acting without any dignity. But earlier, Immigration Minister Eric Besson said the move was essential to re-establish the rule of law.
"I just think it's all unjust. They are taking children away. They should do it with some dignity but they're dragging them along the ground, it's not showing any respect. If this is France, then it's rotten. It's disgusting", said one protester.
Police took down details of the migrants who were detained and at least one person who appeared lightly injured was carried away, eyewitnesses said.
One sobbing protester said: "Just think it's all unjust. They are taking children away. They should do it with some dignity but they're dragging them along the ground, it's not showing any respect. If this is France, then it's rotten. It's disgusting."
The French government announced the closure of the Jungle late last week, vowing to re-establish the rule of law in the patchy scrub of land with makeshift housing that serves as a jumping-off point for hundreds of migrants who smuggle onto Britain-bound lorries every year.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Footage contains identifiable children: users must ensure that they comply with local laws and regulations governing the publishing of this material.