- Title: TAIWAN: Taiwan's election flags are recycled into shopping bags
- Date: 27th January 2008
- Summary: (L!2) TAIPEI, TAIWAN (RECENT) (REUTERS) WOMAN BUYING CAKES WOMAN PUTTING CAKES INTO SHOPPING BAG WOMAN PUTTING MORE CAKES INTO SHOPPING BAG WOMAN CARRYING BAG AWAY
- Embargoed: 11th February 2008 12:00
- Topics: Light / Amusing / Unusual / Quirky
- Reuters ID: LVA4QBLKE5DG7BVAVA7VOBNQAP1Z
- Story Text: Election campaign flags in Taiwan are made into environmental-friendly shopping bags.
Tapei has found new ways to fight global warming by transforming used election campaign flags into handbags and aprons.
The Taipei County Environmental Protection Bureau said 170,000 flags, which were used as publicity tools during last week's parliamentary elections on January 12, will be recycled into 85,000 handbags.
The project chief, Li Junne Yih, says the idea came up four years ago when workers with sewing skills were seen playing around with all the colourful banners that had been left on the streets.
"By doing this, our flags are not thrown into the incinerator, and also with the transformation, people would realise things could become useful again with proper modification," says Li Junne-Yih, Taipei County Environmental Protection Bureau Subsection Chief.
"We can't say it's waste, reuse things that are still useful helps protect the environment and the earth," said Taipei resident Chen ping-chieh.
For politicians, this may become a new method to publicise themselves and their parities.
"It's not a bad idea, because we could carry the flags for the candidates or parties we support," said Taipei resident Liao Chih-shuan.
But others preferred to stay out of politics when it came to fashion.
"If it's not political and not too colourful, then it's fine," said Huang Fan-chen.
It takes an hour to make a hand bag on average, but these bags are not mass produced nor will they be on sale in stores. Instead, they will be distributed at government-sponsored events as souvenirs to promote environmental awareness.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None