- Title: LEBANON: Lebanese soldier dies as army pounds refugee camp
- Date: 20th August 2007
- Summary: (BN10) NAHR AL-BARED CAMP, LEBANON (AUGUST 20, 2007) (REUTERS) LEBANESE ARMY HELICOPTER FLYING OVER NAHR AL-BARED CAMP DROPPING MISSILE SMOKE RISING FROM EXPLOSION AFTER STRIKE BLACK SMOKE RISING FROM CAMP RED CROSS VEHICLE DRIVING ON HIGHWAY
- Embargoed: 4th September 2007 13:00
- Location: Lebanon
- Country: Lebanon
- Topics: Domestic Politics
- Reuters ID: LVAAZBFBEZ8XGGIXO6UVNHVNZ1WO
- Story Text: The Lebanese army pounds militants in Nahr al-Bared Palestinian refugee camp with air attacks as fighting enters its fourth month. A Lebanese soldier is killed in the fighting.
A Lebanese soldier died on Monday (August 20) of wounds sustained in fighting with Islamist militants in north Lebanon, security sources said.
The army launched a series of air raids on the Fatah al-Islam militants, who are holed up in the Nahr al-Bared Palestinian camp where they have been fighting for three months.
The fighting, Lebanon's worst since the 1975-1990 civil war, has killed 139 soldiers, at least 100 militants and 41 civilians.
Army helicopters bombed the centre of the camp at least eight times on Monday, targeting an area where the al Qaeda-inspired militants are holed up, witnesses said.
Tanks also opened fire on the camp, much of which has been reduced to rubble. Most of Nahr al-Bared's 40,000 residents fled in the early days of the battle to the nearby Beddawi camp.
The army accuses the militants of triggering the conflict by attacking army positions on May 20. Fatah al-Islam has refused to give in to army demands for an unconditional surrender.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None