- Title: LEBANON: Lebanon army takes control of Nahr al-Bared refugee camp after battle
- Date: 3rd September 2007
- Summary: VARIOUS OF ARMY PATROL
- Embargoed: 18th September 2007 13:00
- Location: Lebanon
- Country: Lebanon
- Topics: Defence / Military
- Reuters ID: LVADECL8ZNN6X78UZ1AQB81D6X92
- Story Text: An uneasy calm settled over the Nahr al-Bared refugee camp on Monday (September 3) following the defeat of Fatah al-Islam militants by the Lebanese army.
Security forces took control of the northern refugee camp on Sunday (September 2) after three months of fighting.
Shaker al-Abssi, Fatah al-Islam's Palestinian leader, was confirmed dead among at elast 31 militants killed by the army when they tried to break out of the camp.
Thirty-four Islamist militants from the al-Qaeda inspired group were captured. Most were wounded, a security source said.
Lebanese citizen Haj Mahmoud said the army's victory in the camp was a source of pride for the Lebanese people.
"There was a great victory in Lebanon and this victory is for us, the army and the Lebanese nation. We are proud of this victory because it is for us and our honoured people," he said.
The fighting was Lebanon's worst internal violence since the 1975-1990 civil war, killing more than 300 people including 162 soldiers.
The battle erupted on May 20 when the army says Fatah al-Islam launched unprovoked attacks against it.
Fatah al-Islam split from a Syrian-backed Palestinian faction last year. The hardline Sunni Islamist group includes Lebanese, Saudi and Syrian fighters.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None