- Title: LEBANON: Three die in inter-Palestinian violence in Lebanon
- Date: 16th September 2008
- Summary: VARIOUS OF RESIDENTS OF AIN EL-HILWEH FLEEING CAMP/ AUDIO OF GUNFIRE
- Embargoed: 1st October 2008 13:00
- Location: Lebanon
- Country: Lebanon
- Topics: Domestic Politics
- Reuters ID: LVAAU7WDH75WKM5AUIX0T4EZ5ML0
- Story Text: Three Palestinians were killed in fighting between rival factions at a refugee camp in south Lebanon on Monday (September 15), security sources said.
The fighting began when gunmen shot dead a member of the Islamist Jund al-Sham militant group in Ain al-Hilweh camp, 40 km (25 miles) south of the capital Beirut.
The killing triggered fierce exchanges of gunfire and grenades between the militants and Fatah gunmen in which a second Jund al-Sham member was killed.
Few hours after the fighting stopped, the father of a senior Fatah official was shot dead by unknown attackers.
Ain al-Hilweh, Lebanon's largest Palestinian refugee camp has seen this year several deadly skirmishes between Fatah, the main Palestinian faction in Lebanon, and Jund al-Sham, which is believed to be inspired by al Qaeda and which has lost fighters in Iraq while battling U.S. and allied forces there.
Lebanese authorities have very little influence inside the well-armed Palestinian camps, home for 400,000 refugees.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2011. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Footage contains identifiable children: users must ensure that they comply with local laws and regulations governing the publishing of this material.