- Title: LEBANON: Lebanese army clashes with Palestinians, one killed
- Date: 19th June 2012
- Summary: BEDDAWI REFUGEE CAMP, TRIPOLI, LEBANON (JUNE 18, 2012) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF BURNING TYRES ON ROAD PALESTINIAN REFUGEES GATHERED IN SUPPORT OF NAHR AL BARED REFUGEES EXTERIOR OF RED CRESCENT HOSPITAL IN BEDDAWI REFUGEE CAMP VARIOUS OF INJURED PALESTINIANS IN HOSPITAL EXTERIOR HOSPITAL, WITH SIGN AMBULANCE PULLING UP/ MEN GATHERED OUTSIDE VARIOUS OF ROADS BLOCKED BY BURNING TYRES
- Embargoed: 4th July 2012 13:00
- Location: Lebanon
- Country: Lebanon
- Reuters ID: LVABYI77NHKQRLRN60GPK2PPD50W
- Story Text: At least one Palestinian man was killed on Monday (June 18) and several others wounded in clashes between the Lebanese army and Palestinian residents of a refugee camp in north Lebanon, security sources and camp residents said.
Lebanese army said three soldiers were injured in the clashes and some military vehicles were burnt in Nahr al-Bared camp near the northern city of Tripoli.
Angry Palestinian refugees in Beddawi refugee camp near Nahr al Bared blocked main roads by burning tyres.
Witnesses said the clashes erupted when Palestinians where trying to bury a man who was killed in clashes on Friday.
On Friday a Palestinian man was killed and dozens others were wounded in clashes with the army.
The Nahr al-Bared refugee camp was devastated in 2007 when the Lebanese army fought militants there.
Tensions have not subsided around the coastal shantytown since 2007, when the army moved in to fight the al Qaeda-inspired Fatah al-Islam group. More than 400 people were killed, 170 of them soldiers, and 6,000 homes were flattened.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2012. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None