JERUSALEM: FIST FIGHTS BREAK OUT BETWEEN ISRAELI DEMONSTRATORS WITH DIFFERENT RELIGIOUS VIEWS.
- Title: JERUSALEM: FIST FIGHTS BREAK OUT BETWEEN ISRAELI DEMONSTRATORS WITH DIFFERENT RELIGIOUS VIEWS.
- Date: 24th June 1986
- Summary: 1. GVs Police watching as demonstrators gather to listen to speakers (2 shots) 0.07 2. SV & LV Professor Yoram Ben-Porat of the Hebrew University addressing crowd (HEBREW SOT) (2 shots) 0.14 3. GV Demonstrators holding placards with slogans written in Hebrew 0.17 4. SV Police ride by on horseback 0.22 5. SV Police giving warnings to demonstrators 0.28 6. CU's Police separating scuffling men (5 shots) 1.31 InitialsMK/BB. Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVA3QKKF6F4PFAAH17JV726NB9PN
- Location: JERUSALEM
- Country: Israel
- Duration: 00:01:32
- Topics: General
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None
- Story Text: JERUSALEM
Some 300 secular Israelis demonstrated in Jerusalem on June 23 against what they said were the efforts of ultra-Orthodox Jews to turn Israel into a religious state.The demonstration, organised by the United Workers' Party (Mapam), the Citizens' Rights Party (Ratz) and Shinui-Movement for Change, was supposed to be peaceful.But fist fights broke out between supporters of religious militant Rabbi Meir Kahane's right-wing Kach party and the left-wing demonstrators.Police were called in to break up fights between about 20 people.During the demonstration, Yoram Ben-Porat, a professor at the Hebrew University in Jerusalem, called on ultra-Orthodox Jews not to force their beliefs on all Israelis.An on-going conflict between the ultra-Orthodox minority and the secular majority who have different views on how much influence religion should have on Israeli life intensified earlier in the month when a spate of violence occurred.Secular militants set a Tel Aviv synagogue ablaze, ransacked a Jewish seminary and painted Nazi swastikas on Tel Aviv's main synagogue following a campaign by some ultra-Orthodox Jews to rid Israeli bus shelters of advertisements they considered obscene.Ultra-Orthodox Jews burned and spray-painted bus shelters throughout the country carrying advertisements of women in skimpy swimsuits.
<strong>Source: REUTERS - ELI FASTMAN</strong>
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:9th July 1986 13:00