- Title: LEBANON: FIERCE FIGHTING CONTINUES DESPITE TRUCE.
- Date: 17th May 1988
- Summary: 1. GVs & SVs Militiamen exchanging fire. (6 SHOTS) 0.46 2. SVs Demonstrators haranguing Brigadier Kanaan. (3 SHOTS) 1.09 3. SVs & SV PULL BACK TO GV Kanaan and Besharati in conference. (3 SHOTS) 1.23 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVA4NUASEATHNUO2D8HYUC2MWGS9
- Location: BEIRUT, LEBANON
- Country: Lebanon
- Duration: 00:01:24
- Topics: General
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None
- Story Text: BEIRUT, LEBANON
Fierce fighting continued in Beirut's southern suburbs on Tuesday, despite a ceasefire agreed the previous day. Amal Shi'ite militia and pro-Iranian Hezbollah (Party of God) fighters battled with mortars, artillery and rockets for control of the suburbs, where most of Lebanon's foreign hostages are believed to be held. The fighting broke a truce agreed between Syria's head of intelligence in Lebanon, Brigadier Ghazi Kanaan, and Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Ali Mohammed Besharati.
Police said that at least 12 people had been killed and 40 wounded in the latest clashes. The Hezbollah fighters have gained control of about 80 per cent of the 41 square kilometre (16 square mile) area and were reported to be moving in on Amal's last strongholds in the Chiyah and Ghobeira areas.
<strong>Source: REUTERS - MAHMOUD MAHFOUZ</strong>
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:1st June 1988 13:00