- Title: SOUTH VIETNAM: HIGHWAY ONE BLOCKED BY EY XUAN FIGHTING.
- Date: 10th April 1975
- Summary: 1. MS tyres block highway 2 ft 2. MS drums set to block highway (3 shots) 9 ft 3. MS traffic queues on road 12 ft 4. MS trucks 15 ft 5. MS truck moved around ??? 6. MS troops check ID cards 21 ft 7. MS barbed wire set across road (3 shots) 26 ft 8. MS + WS civilians waiting (2 shots) 30 ft 9. MS troops check ID cards and papers (2 shots) 30 ft 10. Soldier directs traffic 33 ft 11. MS truck drivers checked by troops (2 shots) 40 ft Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVAE27TNSFSJCAM9IGHL3MILA0N0
- Location: HIGHWAY ONE, 70 KMS NORTH SAIGON, SOUTH VIETNAM
- Country: Vietnam
- Duration: 00:01:03
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None
- Story Text: Communist forces backed by tanks were reported to have launched another attack on the provincial capital of Xuan Loc today (Thursday). There was no immediate word on the result of the attack which followed fighting in the city's streets yesterday.
As the fighting raged throughout the day, Highway One just south of Xuan Loc was barricaded by South Vietnamese troops. Sand-filled oil drums were set up to prevent communist tanks from rolling quickly down the highway leading to the capital.
Hundreds of civilians and long queues of vehicles were halted at the road block. Troops carefully checked all identity cards and papers and allowed only a few civilians who lived nearby to pass the roadblock.
Intelligence officers say the battle at Kuan Loc as a critical one. The fall of the provincial capital would establish the insurgents in a solid are hardly more than 37 miles from Saigon and sweeping from Tay Hinh in the northwest to coastal Sinh Tuy in the east.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:25th April 1975 13:00