CAMBODIA: INDO-CHINA EMBASSY STAFFS LEAVE PHNOM PENH AS FIGHTING INTENSIFIES IN CAMBODIA.
- Title: CAMBODIA: INDO-CHINA EMBASSY STAFFS LEAVE PHNOM PENH AS FIGHTING INTENSIFIES IN CAMBODIA.
- Date: 9th May 1970
- Summary: 1. GV EXTERIOR..Chinese Embassy 0.08 2. CU Wall where plaque has been removed 0.11 3. SV Rear of Embassy trucks loaded with equipment and truck pulling out (2 shots) 0.30 4. GV North Korean Embassy 0.35 5. CU Plaque Embassy of Republique of Korea 0.38 6. SV Embassy staff 0.43 7. CU Insignia PAN to lorry pulling out of Embassy 1.06 8. SV Troops climb into lorries - prepare to pull out 1.17 9. GV Dockside, people preparing to leave 1.30 Initials RJ/VS/AS/PS RJ/VS/AS/ES Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVA9EVDZN5IL8WOZ2C68AM0ZJMVL
- Location: PHNOM PENH
- Country: Cambodia
- Duration: 00:01:29
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None
- Story Text: The People's Republic of China and North Korea have accused the Cambodian Government of preventing their embassy staffs from leaving Phnom Penh and returning home. Both countries have recalled their representatives in the Cambodian capital after breaking diplomatic relations with the Government of General Lon Nol and recognising the Cambodian Government in exile of Prince Sihanouk.
A Peking radio broadcast monitored in Hong Kong today (Saturday) claimed that the Cambodian Government said it would not release the representatives of the two embassies until the Cambodian diplomats in Peking were allowed to leave. The North Korean news agency made the same claim. While accusing the Cambodians of holding the diplomats as hostages the Peking radio broadcast said that Chin was willing to transport the Cambodian staff to Shanghai where they would be allowed to fly to Phnom Penh.
Last Thursday ( May 7 ) members of the Chinese and North Korean embassies were photographed packing their equipment and leaving their respective embassies. There has been no comment from either North Korea or China.
Another group to leave Cambodia since the Americans began their thrust against Vietnamese nationals.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:24th May 1970 13:00