- Title: ALGERIA: MAURITANIAN DESERTER JOINS POLISARIO FREEDOM FIGHTERS.
- Date: 27th May 1976
- Summary: 1. GV Polisario freedom fighters giving press conference with newsmen watching (3 shots) 0.46 Initials BB/1830 RP/DK/BB/1580 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVA1MPDIIZDQCGQ4YZ1S6X5JDLYU
- Location: ALGIRS, ALGERIA
- Country: Algeria
- Duration: 00:00:46
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None
- Story Text: In Algiers, Algeria, on Tuesday (25 May) guerrillas of the Polisario Front Independence Movement presented to newsmen, a man they claimed had deserted the Mauritanian army to join their forces.
The guerrillas have been fighting the take-over of the former Spanish Sahara by Morocco and Mauritania. They claim they have killed 178 Moroccans and Mauritanians and wounded 145 others in the past two weeks. Polisario losses in the fighting were not given.
At Monday's news conference, the deserter Mouhammad Ould Limghied, said Mauritanians knew that if the Sahara fell entirely to Morocco, their turn to be invaded would be next. He said many Mauritanians were leaving the country for Senegal to escape that situation.
Meanwhile, the Polisario guerrillas have stepped up attacks inside the Western Sahara, as far as Tarfaya and the Mauritanian border. Main target of the guerrillas has been the phosphate area of Bou Craa.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:11th June 1976 13:00