- Title: JORDAN: CONFERENCE ON THE FIGHT AGAINST DESERT LOCUSTS OPENS IN AMMAN.
- Date: 31st July 1972
- Summary: 1. GV EXTERIOR.. conference building and sign, Amman (NATURAL SOUND) 0.08 2. SV INTERIOR. United Nations banner on wall (NATURAL SOUND) 0.11 3. GV Meeting in progress with Jordanian Minister addressing delegates (ARABIC SOUND) 0.26 4. SV Delegates listening (2 shots) 0.35 5. SV Minister finishes speech, applause (NATURAL SOUND) 0.43 6. LV Mohammed Yassein (Jordan) addressing (ARABIC SOUND) (3 shots) 0.53 7. SV PAN..delegates listen and applaud (SOUND NATURAL) 1.04 8. GV Cheirman Dr. Khalil El-Lubani addresses delegates in English 1.10 SOUND IN: "Other areas of Iran....." 9. SV & TLV Delegates listening (8 shots) (ENGLISH SOF OVER) 1.41 Initials ES. 1620 ES. 1645 Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVA8M719NQUWVOWXGQD7AYN0R79S
- Location: AMMAN, JORDAN
- Country: Jordan
- Duration: 00:01:41
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None
- Story Text: The Third Regional conference in the Combating of Desert Locusts in the Near East, opened in Amman on Saturday (July 29), with delegates from Jordan, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Qatar, Lebanon, Sudan, Oman and the People's Democratic Republic of Yemen. Also present were representatives of the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO). Conferences on the control of the pest have taken place in several African and Mideast countries in recent weeks.
The Conference followed three days of meetings of a technical committee of Middle Eastern and African countries. This committee made several recommendations, including the concentration of research in Saudi Arabia, Egypt and the Sudan (were experts were available); the exchange of delegates between the affected countries; and closer coordination between local research centres and the FAO -- such as the use of a California-launched scientific satellite to provide information that would ensure a better use of natural resources and the fighting of the threats to crops.
The conference was opened by Jordanian Minister of Agricultures Omar Abdallah, and later addressed by Fao Regional Adviser for Locusts, Ahmad Al-Khasawneh.
Deputies form Syria, Iraq, the Arab League and the East African Organisation for combating locusts were expected later in the day.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:15th August 1972 13:00