EGYPT: FIGHTING BREAKS OUT BETWEEN PLAYERS AND POLICE HAVE TO CLEAR SPECTATORS FROM PITCH DURING AFRICAN SOCCER...
- Title: EGYPT: FIGHTING BREAKS OUT BETWEEN PLAYERS AND POLICE HAVE TO CLEAR SPECTATORS FROM PITCH DURING AFRICAN SOCCER CUP QUARTER FINAL MATCH.
- Date: 13th September 1975
- Summary: 1. GV AND MV Man releasing doves on pitch into air. 0.10 2. GV PAN Marikh kick off in dark shirts from left to right, midfield play and crowd. (2 shots) 0.32 3. Gv Marikh attack and Mehalla goalkeeper makes fine save. 0.38 4. SV Sudanese supporter with loudhailer. 0.45 5. GV (SECOND HALF) Mehalla attacking from left to right No. 7 brought down by Marikh player, referee shows Marikh players yellow card.(2 shots) 1.02 6. GV Mehalla attack and score goal, crowd. 1.14 7. GV PAN Marikh attack and score and goalkeeper punches goal scorer. 1.33 8. GV AND MVS Riot police on ground as crowd chant. (2 shots) 1.39 9. GV Injured Marikh player carried off. 1.47 10. GV Police escort someone from field. 1.58 11. GV Police cordon around field. 2.02 12. GV Mehalla attack and player falls in penalty area. (2 shots) 2.06 13. GV PAN Mehalla score from penalty. 2.13 ATTACK ON SUDAN'S GOAL 211 ft QUARREL BETWEEN PLAYERS 221 ft SECOND GOAL MERICK SUDAN SCORES ITS FIRST GOAL(It was at this point that Mehalla goal keeper punched Sudanese scorer, starting fight) 235 ft PLAYERS START FIGHTING, POLICE COME ONTO FIELD AND CONTROL CROWD, SUDANESE PLAYER TAKEN OFF BY AMBULANCE MEN 265 ft POLICE CORDON AROUND FIELD TO KEEP SPECTATORS OFF MEHALLAS SECOND GOAL: Penalty by Mehalla gives them 2-1 leads 280 ft CUTAWAYS SPECTATORS SHOUTING ETC. GENERAL PLAY END OF MATCH, SUDANESE PLAYERS SITTING ON GROUND 260 ft INFO: MEHALLA OF EGYPT TODAY DEFEATED MERRICK OF SUDAN BY TWO GOALS TO ONE IN THEIR FIRST LEG OF THE QUARTERFINALS OF THE AFRICAN FOOTBALL CUP OF LEAGUE WINNERS. A CROWED OF TWENTY FIVE THOUSAND SAW THE MATCH PLAYED ON MEHALLAS HOME GROUND. ALL GOALS WERE SCORED IN THE SECOND HALF. MEHALLAS RIGHT HALF NETTED FIRST GOA AND SIX MINUTES LATER SUDAN EQUALISED AND AN ALTERCATION BETWEEN THE MEHALLA ???DALIE AND THE SUDANESE SCORE STARTED FIGHT AND RAISED TEMPERS IN THE STANDS. POLICE HAD TO KE???Y CLEAR SPECTATORS FROM THE FIELD AS MEHALLA FANS PROTESTED AGAINST THE GOAL WHICH THEY THOUGHT WAS OFFSIDE BUT WHICH THE TUNISIAN REFEREE RULED WAS OK. GENERALLY IT WAS A SLOW MATCH AND AT TIMES SUDANESE SEEMED TO BE PLAYING FOR A DRAW. THE RETURN ?/ LEG WILL BE PLAYED IN O???DURMAN IN SEPTEMBER. Initials VS 9.00 VS 21.20 SPORT: SOCCER Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVA1AY467731VXA920OQ6KVEACBU
- Location: EL MEHALLA STADIUM, CAIRO, EGYPT
- Country: Egypt
- Duration: 00:02:14
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None
- Story Text: Fighting broke out between players, and police had to clear protesting spectators from the pitch during a first leg quarter final match of the African Soccer Cup in Cairo on Friday (12 September).
The game was between E1 Mehalla of Egypt and E1 Marikh of Sudan.
The trouble started when E1 Marikh scored a disputed equalising goal in the second half. E1 Fadel Santos put the ball in the net but the Mahalla players and the crowd thought the goal off-side.
There may also have been some kicking when the Mehalla goalkeeper tried to save because the goalkeeper punched E1 Fadel Santos immediately after the goal. A general fight erupted amongst the players and one Sudanese player was carried off. The police cleared spectators from the pitch and cordoned it off for a while.
The Mehalla goalkeeper had to make a superb save in the first half to keep the score goalless at half time and with the second leg to come in Khartoum on September 26 E1 Marikh seemed well set. Then E1 Mehalla scored from close in.
E1 Fadel Santos's equaliser came six minutes later but E1 Mehalla were beginning to make More and more chances ro???red on by the partisan 20,000 crowd. Captain E1-Siagui scored the winner from a penalty just seven minutes from time to make the final score 2-1 to E1 Mehalla.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:28th September 1975 13:00