- Title: KHMER REPUBLIC: GOVERNMENT TROOPS WOUNDED IN FIGHTING CLOSE TO CAPITAL.
- Date: 15th November 1974
- Summary: 1. GV soldiers on boat along river 0.10 2. GV wounded soldiers carried from boat (3 shots) 0.22 3. GV boat along river 0.34 4. MV soldiers our boat 0.38 5. LV & MV wounded soldier on boat in Mekong 0.50 6. MV soldier 0.51 7. GV soldiers rescuing wounded soldier 0.59 8. MV soldiers on boat 1.00 9. MV soldier pan to wounded soldier 1.07 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVA479S75B75O3NT2VLO1A2EODY2
- Location: NEAR BARONG KHNOR KAR, 9 MILES EAST PHNOMPENH
- Country: Cambodia
- Duration: 00:01:08
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None
- Story Text: Clashes between Government and insurgent forces in the Khmer Republic are continuing despite the current monsoon.
In the past two days, government forces captured an important provincial town, Monasaing, which straddles Highway Four linking the capital Phnompenh with the deepwater port of Kompong Som.
Just nine miles east of Phmompenh, government forces have launched a counter attack against insurgent forces threatening Barong Khnor Kar.
On Wednesday (November 13th), government troops were forced to evacuate with many wounded after the insurgents overran two government posts and threatened three others protecting the eastern defences of Phnompenh.
In the Khmer Republic, government forces move in by water to rescue troops wounded in action close to the capital. this is just nine miles (14 kms) from Phnompenh. After one of the closest actions to Phnompenh, many wounded had to be evacuated when insurgent forces overran two government posts and threatened three others near Barong Khnor Kar protecting the eastern defences of the capital.
This evacuation took place on Wednesday. On the following day, government forces re-grouped and launched a counter attack.
Clashes between government and insurgent forces are continuing despite the arrent monsoon which has pushed the Mekong River to the flood level. Rescue boats faced choppy waves and large tracts of the wide Mekong to get the wounded back to areas of government security. Some nearly didn't make it. At last report, the government counter offensive was continuing along the banks of the Mekong.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:30th November 1974 12:00