LEBANON: RIVAL GUNMEN FIGHT BITTER BATTLE FOR MASTERY OF BEIRUT'S SMART HOTELS AND HIGH RISE OFFICE BLOCKS.
- Title: LEBANON: RIVAL GUNMEN FIGHT BITTER BATTLE FOR MASTERY OF BEIRUT'S SMART HOTELS AND HIGH RISE OFFICE BLOCKS.
- Date: 9th December 1975
- Summary: 1. LV Armed men run across road and stand against wall as armoured vehicle takes up position in square. 0.26 2. SV AND CU Wounded man being carried and receiving attention, PAN ROUND as large explosion forces men to duck. 0.51 3. CU Wounded man has arm bandaged. 1.05 4. LV Deserted square. 1.12 5. SV Old lady walks across square after talking to armed men. 1.26 6. SV Man firing from machine gun from vehicle. 1.49 7. SV PAN Ambulance around corner and down road. 1.58 Initials VS 19.50 VS 20.05 Orig on 11918/75 (150 Feet) TELERECORDING Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVA7TYD8GVA3R1LBXLERK812PMLZ
- Location: BEIRUT, LEBANON
- Country: Lebanon
- Duration: 00:01:59
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None
- Story Text: Rival Christian and Moslem gunmen fought a bitter battle on Monday (8 December) for mastery of Beirut's smart hotels and high rise office blocks. The fighting left at least 70 people dead -- and scores more wounded -- including Visnews staff cameraman Noel Alexandre who shot this film under heavy fire.
The Christians, led by the right-wing Falangists were holding a defence line around their strongholds in the fashionable commercial district.
Ranged against them was the Moslem Independent Nasserite Movement, whose forces have led the leftist drive along the sea front. The Nasserites were joined by Palestinian guerrillas and Lebanese Communist Party militia.
The fighting reached a new level of violence with rival gunmen sometimes only yards from each other, as mortars, rockets and heavy machine guns blasted their positions.
All appeals by the government for a new ceasefire were ignored by both sides. And for the first time Lebanon's Prime Minister, Rashid Karami described the situation as a "civil war".
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:24th December 1975 12:00