- Title: RUSSIA: RUSSIA DISPLAYS NEW FIGHTER PLANE AT MOSCOW AIR SHOW
- Date: 18th August 1996
- Summary: MOSCOW, RUSSIA (AUGUST 18, 1996) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 1. GV TUSHINO AIRFIELD / HOT AIR BALLOONS / CROWDS 0.08 2. SLV SPECTATORS SEATED 0.10 3. LV HELICOPTER FLYING WITH RUSSIAN FLAGS HANGING FROM BASE 0.26 4. LV PARACHUTIST WITH RUSSIAN FLAG LANDING 0.29 5. MV PARACHUTISTS WALKING ON GROUND 0.34 6. GV PEOPLE WATCHING THE SHOW 0.36 7. SLV HELICOPTER PLACING BUCKET OF WATER OF PLATFORM 0.42 8. MV PEOPLE WATCHING 0.43 9. LV VARIOUS OF SPORTS PLANES PERFORMING AEROBATICS 0.59 10.MV PEOPLE WATCHING 1.00 11.LV BLACK SHARK K-50 HELICOPTER AEROBATICS 1.01 12.MV PEOPLE WATCHING 13.GV'S VARIOUS OF MILITARY JETS AND HELICOPTERS PERFORMING AEROBATICS 1.15 14. SCU CROWDS 1.18 15. LV SU-25 FORMATION PERFORMING AEROBATICS 1.30 16. LV SU-37 FLYING / PERFORMING AEROBATICS 2.00 17. LV SU-27 FIGHTER PLANE PERFORMING "COBRA" AEROBATICS 2.50 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Reuters ID: LVAEPFOMD7211U8Q5RKGJ5Y1536I
- Location: MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Duration: 00:02:50
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None
- Story Text: INTRO: Russia has displayed its new fighter plane at a Moscow air show.
The Su-37 super-manoeuvrable thrust-vectoring fighter perfomed head-spinning aerobatics at an air show at Moscow's Tushino airfield on Sunday (August 18).
The plane had previously only been demonstrated to a closed circle of Russian and Western experts, but now the Russians wanted to show off the new machine.
Experts say the plane is ten times as effective in dogfights as combat aircraft that lack thrust control.
Thrust-vectoring permits post-stall manoeuvres that are impossible in a conventional fighter, while rearward facing radar and missiles will also allow Russian pilots to fire at aircraft both forward and aft.
The plane is the latest modification of the famous Sukhoi fighters which are widely used by the Russians in the military campaign in Chechnya.
Crowds at the air show, held to celebrate aviation day, were also treated to a display by Russia's new combat helicopter K-50 known as "Black Shark".
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:2nd September 1996 13:00