- Title: BOSNIA-HERZEGOVINA: HEAVY FIGHTING AROUND BIHAC CONTINUES
- Date: 2nd September 1995
- Summary: BOSNIAN SERB POSITIONS NINE KILOMETRES SOUTH OF BIHAC (SEPTEMBER 2) (RTV - ACCESS ALL) 1. SLV/SV BOSNIAN SERB ARMY (BSA) MORTARS IN ACTION (8 SHOTS) 0.59 2. SV MACHINE BUILDING A BUNKER (2 SHOTS) 1.18 3. SLV BOSNIAN SERB SOLDIERS AND ARTILLERY ON THE FRONTLINE / LOADING THE GUN / HEAVY HOWITZER FIRING. (5 SHOTS) 2.17 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Reuters ID: LVA4I9076QWTG33H7USF2PTGU6LO
- Location: FRONTLINE, SOUTH OF BIHAC, NORTHWEST BOSNIA-HERZEGOVINA
- Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Duration: 00:02:19
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None
- Story Text: Heavy fighting continued on Saturday (September 2) around the United Nations (U.N.)-declared "safe haven" of Bihac in western Bosnia.
One month ago, a Croatian offensive in the Bihac pocket broke the Bosnian Serb siege there which had lasted three years.
According to Bosnian Serb Army (BSA) sources, the attack on the Bihac front by Moslem forces was the heaviest on the area this year.
The BSA said that more than 550 artillery shells were fired on Serb lines, in particular the Ripac area and the Grabez plateau, where they undertook no fewer than nine unsuccessful infantry attacks.
The Bosnian army 5th Corps, based in Bihac, seized heavy weaponry from its defeated opponents and analysts believe it could be tempted to try to recapture land lost to the Serbs in 1992.
United Nations sources in Sarajevo said Bosnian government forces were responsible for initiating Friday's attacks.
The warring parties warn that Bosnia is now entering a "danger period" in which either side might attempt to seize territory before their scheduled negotiations late next week in Geneva.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:17th September 1995 13:00