SWITZERLAND: CANTONAL COW FIGHTING FINALS - "SOURIS" THE COW WINS "QUEEN OF QUEENS" AWARD
- Title: SWITZERLAND: CANTONAL COW FIGHTING FINALS - "SOURIS" THE COW WINS "QUEEN OF QUEENS" AWARD
- Date: 11th May 1998
- Summary: APROZ, VALAIS, SWITZERLAND (MAY 10, 1998)(RTV) 1. SLV AUDIENCE PAN RIGHT TO COW FIGHTING AREA 0.10 2. SLV COWS FIGHTING / SCU MAN WATCHING URGING COWS ON/ SLV COWS FIGHTING (4 SHOTS) 0.42 3. MV UNIDENTIFIED SWISS BREEDER LEADING HIS COW AWAY AND SAYING: "THAT WAS FANTASTIC, I DEDICATE THIS VICTORY TO MY FATHER" (FRENCH) 1.03 4. SCU SWISS EXPERT AND BRDDER OF HERENS COWS, PATRICK VUICHOUD SAYING "THEIR INSTINCT IS TO FIGHT, TO BE AGGRESSIVE. WE NOURISH THEM WELL WITH CORN, FOUR CEREALS, SO THEY CAN GET WEIGHT, AND FINALLY WE GIVE A BIT OF PILCORN TO EXCITE THE ANIMAL, BUT ITS ALL NATURAL" (FRENCH) 1.18 5. SCU COWS FIGHTING, ONE TURNS AND RUNS OFF 1.35 6. SLV COW WAITING OUTSIDE RING SPECTATORS IN BACKGROUND 1.39 7. SLV COWS FIGHTING 1.48 8. SLV SPECTATORS / SCU SPECTATORS READING PROGRAMME (2 SHOTS) 1.59 9. SCU SWISS FAN SAYING "FOR ME BULLE AND SOURIS (WILL WIN) BECAUSE THEY LOOK VERY BAD" (FRENCH) 2.07 10. SLV COWS IN RING/ CU HOOF DIGGING INTO SOIL/ SLV COWS FIGHTING /COWS KNOCKING BARRIER OVER AND ALMOST TRAMPLING ON SPECTATORS/ SLV COWS FIGHTING (6 SHOTS) 3.12 11. SCU MARIE-JOSE JACQUOD, OWNER OF SOURIS (WINNER) SAYING "IT IS SUPERB, YOU CAN'T UNDERSTAND. IT WAS HER LAST BATTLE" (FRENCH) 3.22 12. SCU JACQUOD PATTING SOURIS' HEAD 3.27 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Reuters ID: LVA23FJU4YMXFAVE2SI7W3JLUHSQ
- Location: APROZ, VALAIS, SWITZERLAND
- Country: Switzerland
- Duration: 00:03:28
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None
- Story Text: "Souris" the cow has won her third consecutive "Queen of Queens" award at the Swiss Cantonal Cow Fighting finals in the tiny town of Aproz.
One hundred and sixty-five cows took part in the unusual tournament on Sunday (May 10), an annual event.
After a hard fight, "Souris" won the "Queen of Queens" award, delighting the crowd.
Second place went to Glinka and third to Aicha.
All cows participating in the tournament belong to a specific Swiss race called Herens and are raised only for fighting.
Although they don't produce much milk and give mediocre quality of meat, they are a source of pride for Swiss breeders.
For each battle, the animals are divided into four different categories according to their weight.Cows in the first category weigh over 585 kilos (250 pounds).
Cow fighting has been a tradition in the Swiss canton of Valais for more than a hundred years.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:26th May 1998 13:00