BOSNIA-HERZEGOVINA: HEAVY FIGHTING IN THE BIHAC AREA BETWEEN THE BOSNIAN GOVERNMENT FORCES AND THE BOSNIAN SERB...
- Title: BOSNIA-HERZEGOVINA: HEAVY FIGHTING IN THE BIHAC AREA BETWEEN THE BOSNIAN GOVERNMENT FORCES AND THE BOSNIAN SERB ARMY
- Date: 22nd November 1994
- Summary: VELIKA KLADUSA AND UNIDENTIFIED LOCATIONS NEAR BIHAC, BOSNIA-HERZEGOVINA (NOVEMBER 22-23, 1994) (REUTERS TELEVISION (RTV) - ACCESS ALL) UNIDENTIFIED LOCATIONS NEAR BIHAC, (NOVEMBER 23) 1. GV BOSNIAN SERB SOLDIERS STOPPING TO REST AS THEY WALK TO FRONTLINE AT BIHAC (2 SHOTS) 0.11 2. GV BOSNIAN SERB SOLDIERS WALKING TO FRONTLINE AT BIHAC (2 SHOTS) 0.23 3. GV HOUSE ON FIRE 0.30 4. GV OF HOUSES ON FIRE AFTER BEING DAMAGED IN FIGHTING (4 SHOTS) 0.50 5. CU BULLETS 0.57 6. GV OF BOSNIA SERB SOLDIERS FIRING OVER TRENCHES (2 SHOTS) 1.06 7. GV HOUSE ON FIRE (2 SHOTS) 1.15 VELIKA KLADUSA, NORTH BIHAC (NOVEMBER 22) 8. TS OF BUILDINGS IN TOWN / SMOKE RISING FROM BUILDINGS 1.22 9. GV REBEL MOSLEM SNIPER FIRING GUN FROM OBSERVATION POST ABOVE TOWN (2 SHOTS) 1.33 10. GV REBEL MOSLEM SOLDIERS MOVING AMONG BUILDINGS 1.40 11. TS TOWN 1.46 12. GV NIGHTTIME OF REBEL MOSLEM SOLDIERS INSIDE OBSERVATION POST/ SOUND OF FIRING 1.52 13. GV NIGHTTIME OF TRACER FIRE ACROSS TOWN AS SEEN FROM REBEL MOSLEM POSITIONS 1.54 Initials Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
- Reuters ID: LVA490MPD7QKPWOKEJYMK7F62NV8
- Location: VELIKA KLADUSA AND UNIDENTIFIED LOCATIONS NEAR BIHAC, BOSNIA-HERZEGOVINA
- Duration: 00:02:04
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None
- Story Text: Heavy fighting in the Bihac area between the Bosnian government army's Fifth Corps and the Bosnian Serb army's Second Krajina Corps continued on Wednesday (November 23), United Nations (U.N.) officials said.
Serb and Moslem forces were fighting a fierce battle inside the perimeter of the U.N.-protected "safe area" of Bihac town, United Nations spokesman Alexander Ivanko said.
"There is extremely heavy fighting going on south of the town on a hill feature called Debeljaca, which is the last point of defence for the (Bosnian army) 5th Corps before the town. It is going on inside the safe area," Ivanko said.
The top of Debeljaca hill is just three km (two miles) from BIhac town centre.
In the north of the enclave on Tuesday (November 22) Moslem rebels allied with Serb forces battled government troops in Velika Kladusa in fierce fighting.
The Moslem rebels were hammering government positions from a hill commanding the town, as both sides traded machine-gun fire and smoke rose from damaged buildings.
On Tuesday, clashes erupted between members of Bosnian Croat (HVO) units of Bihac district and the members of the Fifth corps.
In retaliation, Fifth Corps troops set fire to Medjudrazje, Zavalje, Veliki and Mali Skocaj, which are Croatian villages in the Bihac area, and killed some of the local inhabitants, Bosnian Serb sources said.
Bosnian army troops triggered the assault by capturing about 250 square kms (95 square miles) of territory from the Bosnian Serbs. Serbs have won back nearly all the ground they had lost.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:7th December 1994 12:00